Antonymous
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:22 am
Location: Ireland

Re: B0. Sometimes our gauges are not quite right IMO.

Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:43 am

ChrisMiller wrote:D performs exactly the same as B2 - only the display is different :)
Exactly. So driving around in B0 is actually pointless unless you don’t want to avail of regen.. for whatever reason.

anko
Posts: 3405
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:30 am
Location: Netherlands, Utrecht area

Re: B0. Sometimes our gauges are not quite right IMO.

Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:12 pm

Antonymous wrote:
ChrisMiller wrote:D performs exactly the same as B2 - only the display is different :)
Exactly. So driving around in B0 is actually pointless unless you don’t want to avail of regen.. for whatever reason.
Sorry, but this is nonsense. You make it sound like regenerative is a good thing. But, although far better than using friction brakes, regenerative braking is a bad thing. Like every other form of braking. Ideally, you want to keep your speed as constant as possible. And for many, to whom feathering the throttle is not something that comes natural, this is much easier in B0 than in B1 or higher.

In general, be careful with what you say. There are people out there that actually think regenerative braking helps you charge your car :mrgreen:

Trex
Posts: 874
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:58 pm
Location: Near Port Macquarie Australia

Re: B0. Sometimes our gauges are not quite right IMO.

Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:53 pm

Now I wanted to bring this image in as it shows some of what I have been writing about.

Notice that red 2.4 kW at the top of the image (coming from the Generator) going into the front axle electric motor inverter to be converted into 2 kW (after losses) to the front electric motor to prevent it dragging.

Now IMO we can roughly double that 2.4 kW ie approx 4.8 kW to include the back axle electric motor to prevent it dragging as well when it (the back axle electric motor) is not required to climb hills etc.

Note This will vary with speed to some extant IMO.

Image

Image from Mitsubishi Motors.

greendwarf
Posts: 2154
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:32 pm

Re: B0. Sometimes our gauges are not quite right IMO.

Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:48 pm

anko wrote:
Antonymous wrote:
ChrisMiller wrote:D performs exactly the same as B2 - only the display is different :)
Exactly. So driving around in B0 is actually pointless unless you don’t want to avail of regen.. for whatever reason.
Sorry, but this is nonsense. You make it sound like regenerative is a good thing. But, although far better than using friction brakes, regenerative braking is a bad thing. Like every other form of braking. Ideally, you want to keep your speed as constant as possible. And for many, to whom feathering the throttle is not something that comes natural, this is much easier in B0 than in B1 or higher.

In general, be careful with what you say. There are people out there that actually think regenerative braking helps you charge your car :mrgreen:
And to underline Anko's point - I have several long gentle descents on my daily commute in Sarf Lundun. These I coast down in BO at the speed limit of 20 mph, whereas in a higher setting I would gradually fall below that speed to the annoyance of following traffic or even just come to a full stop!

However, at the other end of the scale, on Sunday, I found dealing with a series of hairpin type bends on a country road at night was easier in B5, because I was only having to use the one pedal to manage my speed and couldn't juggle the joystick/paddles and headlamp dipper at the same time. :lol:

seaneb
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:17 pm

Re: B0. Sometimes our gauges are not quite right IMO.

Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:01 pm

I also find B5 a non brainer in towns and cities, at roadworks or any other stop start traffic, but on my commute to work (4 miles all downhill) I just cruise in B0 and use the paddles for any braking required. I usually gain about 3 miles of range like this and its so easy to drive-practically no pedals required.

Phevy
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:08 pm
Location: GTA, Ontario, Canada

Re: B0. Sometimes our gauges are not quite right IMO.

Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:22 am

I generally don't think in terms of "driving in Bx"
The shifters are near the steering wheel for a reason, use them as needed.
As I leave the traffic lights I usually have it in B0, and gradually shift up to B5, when approaching the next red lights. I like B0 as I can relax my right foot, while coasting.

While regenerative braking is a good thing, it's better to not put the electricity in the battery, if you need it right a way again. There are many variables that dictate what would be best for a particular circumstance. I like to think of the shifters as an extension of the gas peddle.
But if you don't want to be involved, the PHEV allows for that too.

YMMV,
Phevy
Image2018 Diamond white SE Touring, Black interior,
with hitch, OBDLink LX Bluetooth, Hopkins InSight brake controller, WeatherTech mats, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV, Fast FC05 rims, OTI-001B TPMS

dogman12
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:39 pm
Location: S.E. Washington State

Re: B0. Sometimes our gauges are not quite right IMO.

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:09 am

Phevy, Trex: I've had a lot of very slick roads to deal with this winter. I have been wondering about the allocation of Regen. With the S-AWC (which is overall excellent,) is Regen equal on all four wheels, all the time, or allocated depending on traction/slippage?

And, will S-AWC do anything in B-0 while coasting if slippage occurs? Asking for a friend ;)
2018 PHEV, Diamond Pearl White, Tow Pkg

Trex
Posts: 874
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:58 pm
Location: Near Port Macquarie Australia

Re: B0. Sometimes our gauges are not quite right IMO.

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:19 pm

dogman12 wrote:Phevy, Trex: I've had a lot of very slick roads to deal with this winter. I have been wondering about the allocation of Regen. With the S-AWC (which is overall excellent,) is Regen equal on all four wheels, all the time, or allocated depending on traction/slippage?

And, will S-AWC do anything in B-0 while coasting if slippage occurs? Asking for a friend ;)
Hi dogman12,

Will start another topic about S-AWC here in General as its not really suitable for this topic and will help searching etc.

Regards Trex.

ThudnBlundr
Posts: 673
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:18 am
Location: Yorkshire end of M1, UK

Re: B0. Sometimes our gauges are not quite right IMO.

Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:14 am

greendwarf wrote:And to underline Anko's point - I have several long gentle descents on my daily commute in Sarf Lundun. These I coast down in BO at the speed limit of 20 mph, whereas in a higher setting I would gradually fall below that speed to the annoyance of following traffic or even just come to a full stop!
You do realise that you can "coast" (while still using power as Trex explained in his initial post) in any 'B' setting? It's just that you choose to lift your foot fully off the accelerator. This will of course slow you down faster in higher 'B' levels, as the throttle mapping changes the "coast" point in different 'B' levels. If you don't lift off but instead modulate the throttle, you can coast in higher 'B' numbers
2015 GX4hs since 03/18
2015 Renault Zoe R240 owner since 11/17

You may have speed, but I have momentum...Image

Return to “General / Main Outlander PHEV Owners Forum”