Disable keyless entry ?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonC

Hi, just got our outlander on Tuesday and really chuffed the Mrs can get to work on one charge, charge for free at work and get home on another charge. :D :D

However , I really don't like this keyless entry system. I can't tell if the car is locked or not, and I don't like the idea it can be unlocked while the keys are in the house by car thives.

So, is it possible to turn keyless entry off completely ?

If you set the mirrors to fold when locked, you can easily tell.
And trust me, locked or not, they'll get in. The only difference being a smashed window. Locking a car is only effective to keep the casual snooper out.
As for opening and starting the car and driving off, that is very simple electronically, especially if your keys are in the house without shielding. With or without keyless entry.
The only way to make it more difficult is to fit a sophisticated alarm system and ignition lock, like Cobra. Even better, a Bearlock steering wheel lock.
BTW, for keyless entry to function normally, the key must be within 70 cm of the car

A similar concern here, now that one of ours is equipped with a roof tent. Had visions of someone driving it off in the middle of the night whilst someone was still in bed up top, after seeing that even with the keys in the tent, the doors could be unlocked using the buttons on the doors. Simply solved by getting one of these for Halfords;

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-security/car-security/halfords-anti-rfid-theft-key-wallet

Putting the keys in it, and even holding the keys right at the door, and many other places for trial, it will not unlock. Even inside the vehicle, and trying the power on button, it reports "Key not detected"

Does what it says on the tin.

windymiller said:
A similar concern here, now that one of ours is equipped with a roof tent. Had visions of someone driving it off in the middle of the night whilst someone was still in bed up top, after seeing that even with the keys in the tent, the doors could be unlocked using the buttons on the doors. Simply solved by getting one of these for Halfords;

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-security/car-security/halfords-anti-rfid-theft-key-wallet

Putting the keys in it, and even holding the keys right at the door, and many other places for trial, it will not unlock. Even inside the vehicle, and trying the power on button, it reports "Key not detected"

Does what it says on the tin.
Or check Amazon, I got one for half the price of Halfords and works just as well.

Whilst you can't disable it yourself (though you can change it to only lock/unlock the driver's door), the manual implies that you can ask a dealer to change far more things including whether it'll let you unlock the doors with the buttons on the door handles when standing close by.

You have to be standing right next to the front doors or boot to unlock them without using the buttons on the remote anyway (unless someone nefarious is using a booster) - even standing by a rear door and pressing the button on the front door doesn't work. Similarly it won't start the car unless the remote is fairly close to the front seats.

The easiest way to prevent misuse is to keep the key well out of range (even 20m can be very difficult to boost it to reach) or shielded as mentioned above. A metal box is ideal although a bit of experimentation has shown a crisp packet to work well at blocking it enough if it's more than 5m away inside a house. Eat the crisps first though. :)

All of which is completely useless as soon as you use the remote to unlock/lock the car. Anybody with a cell-phone and some knowledge can pick the code up and reuse it later.

Yes but the rollback algorithms are childishly simple and easily hacked. The only decent solution is to get a Cobra alarm with Drivercard or similar.

On my version 11 remote I can change this setting. In the words of Mitsi' ' You can easily customize ETACS functions. (ETACS customization used to only be possible with a MMCS equipped car with Mitsubishi Motors Corporation's dealers assistance.)' https://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/products/outlander_phev2/app/remote/operation.html?fbclid=IwAR2LO4JkuB1M61JT_HQo32v-om7nmCd9zxud_kwL4Kqg8opw7pM4sF1heE8#other

I know this is a really old post but I was concerned about keyless entry theft which someone told me olabout I thought of disabling the feature going through mitsubishi dealer in Bromley and they had my car for a day and a half for other things and I did mention that I want this feature disabled and they have on the report that it could not be disabled and also I have Faraday pouch but did not work as my outlander 4h 19 plate got stolen on the 7th of this month just outside my house. Can it really be disabled or not I have accessed the secret settings menu and it was greyed out so do you guys think it was possible for them to do it or not. Other than insurance can I make a claim against the company for not disabling it because it is on the invoice. Thank you.

I'm not sure how it works exactly but have seen the keyless entry greyed out in the secret settings, you have the normal lock unlock functions of the key like any other vehicle but the thing i want disabled is when I go near the cat and press the button on the handle for the car to unlock.

SiNJiN said:
I know this is a really old post but I was concerned about keyless entry theft which someone told me olabout I thought of disabling the feature going through mitsubishi dealer in Bromley and they had my car for a day and a half for other things and I did mention that I want this feature disabled and they have on the report that it could not be disabled and also I have Faraday pouch but did not work as my outlander 4h 19 plate got stolen on the 7th of this month just outside my house. Can it really be disabled or not I have accessed the secret settings menu and it was greyed out so do you guys think it was possible for them to do it or not. Other than insurance can I make a claim against the company for not disabling it because it is on the invoice. Thank you.

Which dealer in Bromley told you that? I’m going to see Mitsubishi Masters in Beckenham this week and I will ask if they can disable keyless entry. If they decline I have mechanic in London who does remapping and he might help me to disable it. I only have my Mitsubishi for a week and I’m very anxious and getting paranoid if I don’t put safety measures in place. In my area there are keyless cars stolen every other night. It’s like s plague.

As a temporary solution, can you not place the key in a tin can (biscuit tin, tea caddy etc) when not using the car? Also where's the spare key as that'd need shielding also. Or leave it in a closed microwave oven overnight.

My main key is in a faraday pouch and the car won't open or start while its closed, the spare is also but that's in a safe upstairs too. So far I've not seen anyone hanging about where I am in Medway trying such tactics but then again there's lots of "nicer" cars along the street that would be more likely targets I expect.

From what I'd read there's also a few faraday pouches that may be less good and one where you have a pocket where its easy to slip the key into the unshielded section.

How many people on here have reported their PHEV being stolen in this way? I can't remember any in the 5 years I've been on here.

It's like the cat-stealing hype - social media and the press love sh*t-stirring and getting people worried about things that are incredibly unlikely to happen :roll:

ThudnBlundr said:
How many people on here have reported their PHEV being stolen in this way? I can't remember any in the 5 years I've been on here.

It's like the cat-stealing hype - social media and the press love sh*t-stirring and getting people worried about things that are incredibly unlikely to happen :roll:

[/img]
It's all over my area, im not taking any chances mate. I got faraday pouches, steering wheel lock, ordered OBD2 lock and will book Ghost2 immobiliser to be installed soon.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230402_181056_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230402_181056_Chrome.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 15
Can't blame you there Bobreak, I'd do the same if there were more hits in my area too. It's like catalytic converter theft, some areas and some vehicles are more likely to be hit. My sister had the cat nicked off her Auris hybrid, on their front drive. They were very surprised so now has one of those shields fitted. Downside - it catches on the lip of the drive lol. Kinda bolting the stable door after the horse has fled, That's a reason I didn't go for a Lexus RX, why have all that hassle. I'd rather take precautions before the event if possible tho I've not done anything to protect the cat on the PHEV - looks much harder to nick than other cars.

Back