A few questions from a new owner?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Landsbanki

I've had a 2016 GH3+ for a few days. 11,000 on the clock. It didn't come with a manual.
1) when I use a fast charger it says the battery is at 33% when it starts charging even though the gauge says it's empty so I'm getting about 18 miles on battery. Is this normal?
2) when I picked it up the dealer said there was 10 litres of fuel but it immediately started flashing to refuel. I fill up and 34.77 litres went in which did suggest that it had 10 litres in it. This is 22% full but was on the last blue bar. So it seems both the battery and fuel read more empty than they actually are. I assume this could be the car protecting itself.
3) what's the best place to get a 3+ year old PHEV serviced in the UK. Mitsubishi dealer or an independent garage?
4) when I charge using the electric highway the car stops charging at 80% but not on other fast chargers. What's going on there? Also it only charges 6KW in 21 mins going from 33%-80%. Is that typical.
Cheers in advance.

All what you have said is quite standard for Mitsubishi PHEV. I will go to dealer. Buy package £500 - 3 year service all inclusive.

Landsbanki said:
I've had a 2016 GH3+ for a few days. 11,000 on the clock. It didn't come with a manual.
1) when I use a fast charger it says the battery is at 33% when it starts charging even though the gauge says it's empty so I'm getting about 18 miles on battery. Is this normal?
2) when I picked it up the dealer said there was 10 litres of fuel but it immediately started flashing to refuel. I fill up and 34.77 litres went in which did suggest that it had 10 litres in it. This is 22% full but was on the last blue bar. So it seems both the battery and fuel read more empty than they actually are. I assume this could be the car protecting itself.
3) what's the best place to get a 3+ year old PHEV serviced in the UK. Mitsubishi dealer or an independent garage?
4) when I charge using the electric highway the car stops charging at 80% but not on other fast chargers. What's going on there? Also it only charges 6KW in 21 mins going from 33%-80%. Is that typical.
Cheers in advance.

More specifically:-
1) Lots of posts elsewhere on forum but yes you don't run the battery flat in normal usage only to about 30%. 18 miles seems low for a low mileage 3 years old car but it depends on how "hard" you drive it. Higher speeds and climbing hills will drain it quickly. Car will give best range driving at 30mph in town on the flat. If you are going at higher speeds e.g. motorways then best practice is to switch to Save mode and use the petrol engine, saving the battery for later.
2) Fuel gauge is pessimistic but really you can ignore the flashing warning, if you know you are not going to travel far before plugging in, especially if there is still a range shown. Worry more when belting down the motorway when range drops to zero and you are not sure of next refuelling stop. :lol:
3) Dealer, as most others don't have the equipment (and are frightened by the electrics) particularly for any software related items when link to Japan is needed.
4) Yes the Rapid chargers only go to 80% to protect the battery. NB. Mitsu recommend you do not use these often as they shorten battery life. Other on-street etc. Fast chargers are fine but of course take longer although they will give you 100%. Most PHEV users don't Rapid charge, especially on Motorways because 80% at 70mph won't get you very far and is more expensive than petrol.

Back