Would you still buy it?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luispcorreia

Hey there,

I’ve been following this forum for around a month now. The reason? I’m really impressed about the tech this car throws! :)

I’m also a little disappointed with the bat degradation thing, specially in the 2019 models..

Given your own experience, and knowing the a similar price, Volvo xc40 PHEV is coming out, would you still go for the Mitsu?

The Volvo is front-wheel drive only, if that's a consideration. I still don't see much that's comparable at a similar price. As for battery degradation, that's a potential issue with any electric (particularly PHEVs, because the battery is smaller), but I don't see any reason why Mitsubishi would be any worse than other manufacturers in this area.

If it is similar to the Engleberg concept car, then YES

https://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.uk/discover/concept-cars/engelberg-tourer

Yes, I'd still go with the Mitsu. My '18 model has been very reliable, and economical to run for the past 15 months/71,000 km., and my dealer has been very accommodating in scheduling services to meet my needs. The 10 year/160,000 km warranty is also important to me, and I'm not sure if Volvo matches that.

The outlander is much bigger than the xc40 and generally more useful, while the Volvo interior is really nice. I have a soft spot for Volvo (my last car was the v60) but I doubt I’d get the xc40 over the outlander. I’m also thoroughly bored of Volvo announcing the release of things and simply not delivering, the xc40 PHEV was originally supposed to be released last year......
The pricing (probably, going on the current hybrid pricing across other ranges) will be batshit mental and totally out of whack with other manufacturers.
The only plus point for company car drivers is the 34 mile range, but that will be destroyed by the stupid rrp (which nobody has ever come close to paying).

If I needed a car right now, for sure I'd buy it. It's a great car: reliable, safe and fun to drive.

But if I could wait another 2-3 years, I would - it seems like there's a lot more PHEVs and fully electric vehicles poised to come out in the next couple of years and the market's going to get very very interesting.

I have had my pre-facelift PHEV for nearly three years now and it hasn't missed a beat and still feels as good as the day I bought it, so yes I would certainly look at Mitsubishi the next time I change, but that probably won't be for a good few years yet as I don't change my car if it is reliable and still suits my needs.

I can't comment on the 2019 model and I don't have the watchdog app and most journeys I use a combination of EV and petrol as I just drive the car like any other that I have had in the past (and it does it brilliantly) but last week I gave a lift to my neighbour and ended up driving a little more gently than normal, the car was charged at home and the guessometer in the car showed that I had 27 miles of EV range, the way I normally drive the car I wouldn't know how far a full charge on its own would get me as I drive with a fairly heavy right foot and use petrol as well, but that journey last week which was a mix of town driving and open A roads up to 60 mph was a distance of 31 miles and the engine didn't start at all so 100% EV :D from a four and a half year old car with 40 thousand miles under its belt.

I will look at other manufacturers offerings when the time comes to change (at the moment I really like the Jag), but Mitsubishi has impressed me and I will certainly look to see what they have on offer at the time.

I've had my car for quite a while now, and I still get the "living in the future" thrill every time I get into it.

:)

no, possibly, no, maybe.

Well I have a 2015 I put 115,000 miles on. The ride quality has always been a disappointment so no.

But last service I had a 2018 courtesy car, a PHEV and was impressed at how much better it felt than mine (literally back to back jumping out of mine into the newer one), presume the 2019 is even better.. so possibly.

But I want a bit bigger boot, some drivers aids (without having to go top spec $$) a bit more pace, a longer fuel tank range... so I have a new RAV4 hybrid AWD arriving in a few weeks. So no.

Only keeping the Toyota a couple of years so will be testing whatever the PHEV will be then so might well 'come back.. so maybe

Depends on what is available.
The current PHEV is a 2014 with now just 37000km on the clock, purchased it in February this year with just 30000km.

As we have solar we wanted electric. But having two hunting dogs, both the Kia e-nitro and Kona were not an option.

As a long time Volvo driver I looked at the V60 PHEV, but boot space for the dogs was no option.

So there came the Mits, and never regretted a second. (apart from the flimsy black paint on a white primer, which is very sensitive to scratches )

The EV range is sufficient for daily motoring, and there’s no range anxiety.

Highly unlikely. The Outlander PHEV while as unique and as efficient as it may be, after owing it for a 1.5 year I feel like it has too many compromises to offset its benefits.

By 2020~2021 there would be full BEV options that are in the Outlander PHEV price range, some with AWD. Also as most here agree, the PHEV is mainly training wheels since you get a sense of EV range & charging at home/public after a while and it becomes second nature. Unless the Outlander PHEV gets overhauled greatly under Nissan Renault alliance (unlikely) this is likely the last one I would buy before going full EV or getting something with more EV range.

P.S. I still won't touch anything made by Tesla unless Musk has been ousted.

I bought second hand and did the battery reset and I have to say this is the best ride I have ever experienced :mrgreen:

I live in a country where the highest allowed speed is 120km/h, unless you are 2000km from any civilisation where nothing will stop you driving faster other than a pot hole.
Said country, occupied with conservative extremists, is still suffering difficulties dealing with 19th century technology*, so a PEV will be totally out of the question, unless you want to pay twice as much than everywhere else for a Tesla, for there is an occasional charge station every 200-300km on the busiest highways(outside of the major cities), not accessible for other vehicles though.

So yes it will always have to be something with an ICE of some sort.
I will never want to go pure fossil again.
I hope I can keep my PHEV for 10 years, so when I get the next used one it will have hopefully 200km range but still have some genset on board to get me out of trouble.

*footnote: For the cost of the average 3 month power bill here I can purchase 8 solar panels with mounting brackets and cable in a DIY set up.
The problem here is everybody tells you that renewable energy is greenwash crap and must be avoided because that is why the power bills are so high(in South Australia this might actually be true). They can get really aggressive.
So imagine what happens when somebody wants to drive an EV :shock:
Nobody comprehends that the real problem is that nobody invested a cent to upgrade the existing coal power stations in the last 30 years, so they are falling apart and also that we have so many private middle men cashing in on our power bills.
This country would be in a major energy crisis if people actually started using EVs.

I'm not quite clear why producing electricity from renewables is greenwash. It's now cheaper to install than gas, coal, oil or nuclear stations in the UK, and produces virtually free electricity once installed. In Australia you have far more sun than we do in the UK: many people there are combining it with batteries to give them virtually zero electricity bills. If that's greenwash, I'm all for it ;)

The Engleberg concept would be an interesting replacement with its much larger battery and 7 seats. Not sure if that's going ahead since the merger with the Nissan-Renault partnership

I have a 2018, 15,000 miles
Absolutely!
Put $15.00 gas in it every two weeks
After tax credit and rebates and dealer discount car cost
$26,000 plus tax.
What kind of vehicle can you get for that kind of money?
An SUV? All wheel drive? Phev?
I think it’s the bargain of the century!
Dave

ThudnBlundr said:
I'm not quite clear why producing electricity from renewables is greenwash. It's now cheaper to install than gas, coal, oil or nuclear stations in the UK, and produces virtually free electricity once installed. In Australia you have far more sun than we do in the UK: many people there are combining it with batteries to give them virtually zero electricity bills. If that's greenwash, I'm all for it ;)

The Engleberg concept would be an interesting replacement with its much larger battery and 7 seats. Not sure if that's going ahead since the merger with the Nissan-Renault partnership

Thanks for that video.
Yes I read about Redflow a few years ago but hadn't seen it in practical use.
South Australia is indeed ahead of time(for Australia) and has a much higher proportion of renewable energy than the other states.
They also have the highest power bills and have had some major power outages.
This fuels the 'renewables' hate here all the more.

Our uber-conservative Government is interested in only one thing: more coal.
There were solar incentives that were introduced many years ago under a Labor government and I hopped on board around 2007 with my first 1.5kW.
Today the only talk about EVs is how to charge an extra tax on them but luckily there are too few around for them to actually bother about it.

Back