Towing - What Mode

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slipperysam

Hi All,

I have just got our new 2014 PHEV and we are really pleased with it.

I have been reading many forums and blogs regarding the charge/save mode buttons whilst towing.
Some say press the charge button as soon as you leave for your destination, others say when the SOC gets between 40% - 30%, press the save button for those moments you may have some battery left to get up that hill. For the last one let the car just do its thing.

I'm yet to tow my trailer with the PHEV, but i can't see any clear advice out there. The car manual well, don't get me started on that.

My trailer weights 1250KG loaded, any information is appreciated.

It would nice to get a matrix out of this forum to work out the best method.

I welcome your feedback

Don't overthink this. Just hit the charge button when you drive off. You want all the electrical reserve you can get.

Except that pressing Charge at high SOC is very inefficient as the charge rate is low.

It seems to depend on how hilly the route is. Some people get away with just Save while others get into Turtle Mode even with Charge selected. I would say see what works for you. Start with Save and see if your battery level keeps dropping: if so, use Charge.

Don't be tempted to use 4WD unless you really need it and only use it at low speeds, as it can drain the battery very quickly if used wrongly.

I tow over 1400 kg mainly on fairly flat A and B roads. I usually start on battery and let it deplete by at least a quarter before hitting charge. I manage engine use myself by keeping charge on all the time I am driving over about 40mph (orange power glow arrow to drive wheels direct) and try to minimise use of the engine when under 40 (engine charging battery). I turn the engine off whenever I can, on downhills, slowing for lights etc. B0 is my default but I paddle up to slow (towing a horse it gives smooth braking). Sometimes you can’t really avoid using the engine in battery charge mode if it is getting a bit low on charge.

I do try to keep the battery to around half full in case of hills or a jam but then run it flat on my return home.

This seems to give me reasonable economy.
Cheers
H

I think this is one of those religious topics...

I now have the MY2019 variant. It sound much better on those steep hills compared to the MY2014 I used to have. It also have a tiny bit more power.

I don't drive that far, and not in the alps, and I don't tow often.

For a 1500 kg fairly large covered trailer, I haven't really found that you need to either "charge" or "save" if you stay within (or not too far from ) speed limits.

On long trips (towing or not) I typically "save" when I reach below 50% - but sometimes I forget and that works too.
On shorter trips I just let it run out.

I've got one "turtle", once. When flooring it up a long hill on zero bars after the car had been parked a whole day.
It's not the end of the world, it just runs a bit slower.

Hi All,

Thanks for all your comments.

Reviewing what has been said, I think i will start with save mode and work from there.

I was interested about the mode due to the fact I live in Jersey, channel Islands, so my car will never go into parallel mode whilst on island. so, when I go to the UK or France next I will have a play.

Thanks All

Sam

Back