Transmission service for PHEV??

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yardbird88

Is transmission service required for the 2018 PHEV?? I read the maintenance manual and no where does it require transmission service. It only require spark plug & coolant service around 120K miles.

Is the dealer lying when he said transmission service at 30k miles?? I went in for oil change this morning at 20k miles. He reminds me of transmission service at 30k mile!

Does he mean the transmission/clutch between ICE, Generator and Parallel Mode?
No service needed.

If he means a normal transmission/gearbox, there is no, so he is lying

Mitch said:
No service needed.

When I look at the cut-out illustration of the GKN unit shown here:

https://www.hybridcars.com/mitsubishi-outlander-phevs-etransmission-exposed

There seems to be several cogs that need lubrication. Cogs = metal shearings/heat = need to eventually change fluid. Why is Mitsubishi saying this fluid does not need to change?

Woodman411 said:
Mitch said:
No service needed.

There seems to be several cogs that need lubrication. Cogs = metal shearings/heat = need to eventually change fluid. Why is Mitsubishi saying this fluid does not need to change?
That depends entirely on the choice of materials and the design. They could be using non-lubricated gears or the lubrication could be by the engine oil.

jaapv said:
Woodman411 said:
Mitch said:
No service needed.

That depends entirely on the choice of materials and the design. They could be using non-lubricated gears or the lubrication could be by the engine oil.

I doubt it is non-lubricated, since in Parallel mode the rotational speed would generate too much heat. It's either engine oil or a sealed "lifetime" tranny oil.

There has been discussion on forums and Farcebook about changing both front and rear transmission oils even though Mitsubishi don't suggest it.
My recollection is that oils are said to be very black on draining so the conclusion was do it. Not sure what mileage was recommended though.
I'll be doing mine when it comes out of warranty early next year.

Being black might also mean that the oil is high on Molybdene. I wouldn't replace unless you have the exact specification.

Exactly my point, what transmission? There is no transmission stick at the hood like the good old ICE engine. There are 2 motors, generator, 2L engine and coolant. The manual states only oil change every 7,500 miles and brake fluid change at 45k till 100k. The dealer's advisor was just bluffing. I didn't want to challenge him, just do it by the manual. The rest are just checking this & that. I will do the spark plugs and coolant service around 100k.

Indeed. Mitsubishi's lifespan target is 300.000 km. That means that the sealed-for-life motor gearboxes are designed to last 300.000 km without oil change. Undoubtedly by physical engineering, metal coatings and lubricant choice. It seems to me that interfering by changing one component of the design like exchanging an oil by one of possibly different specification is rather unwise.
The service and ICE oil change interval for continental Europe is 20.000 km BTW.

Tipper said:
There has been discussion on forums and Farcebook about changing both front and rear transmission oils even though Mitsubishi don't suggest it.
My recollection is that oils are said to be very black on draining so the conclusion was do it. Not sure what mileage was recommended though.
I'll be doing mine when it comes out of warranty early next year.

I agree this fluid needs to be changed, regardless if it's not mentioned in the manual. How often to change this will depend on one's view on costs and perceived benefits, and only a lab analysis can tell for sure if it's time to change.

jaapv said:
Being black might also mean that the oil is high on Molybdene. I wouldn't replace unless you have the exact specification.

I agree with sticking to OEM fluids.

yardbird88 said:
Exactly my point, what transmission? There is no transmission stick at the hood like the good old ICE engine. There are 2 motors, generator, 2L engine and coolant. The manual states only oil change every 7,500 miles and brake fluid change at 45k till 100k. The dealer's advisor was just bluffing. I didn't want to challenge him, just do it by the manual. The rest are just checking this & that. I will do the spark plugs and coolant service around 100k.

Did you see my post? There IS a transmission (or transaxle to be precise - that's how Parallel mode is possible). If your point is that the manufacturer does not mention changing it so therefore it is not necessary, I would say there are many things not mentioned by the manufacturer that is good for the car long term (eg. waxing and using sealant for the exterior paint), and for someone wanting to keep the car a very long time and/or having it run as new, that they should explore any and all fluids inside the vehicle, because all of them eventually deteriorate.

I am used to conventional ICE engine. Where & how can you check the color of the so called tranny oil in this hybrid car? It's too early now at 20,000 miles but would like to check it around 60k or 100k when I change spark plugs & coolant fluid.

As I said, the colour is irrelevant on transmission oil. The lubricating properties can be laboratory-tested. Somewhat OTT, though.
Spark plugs and engine oil will be changed to schedule on the regular services by your dealer. It is not vital maintenance for some of us; the ICE runs very little.
You will lose your guaranty if you DIY.

jaapv said:
As I said, the colour is irrelevant on transmission oil. The lubricating properties can be laboratory-tested. Somewhat OTT, though.
Spark plugs and engine oil will be changed to schedule on the regular services by your dealer. It is not vital maintenance for some of us; the ICE runs very little.

In the US, it's against the law to void the warranty for DIY, even though I use the dealer for regular oil change anyway. By the time I need spark plug change, the warranty is over at 100k miles.

yardbird88 said:
jaapv said:

In the US, it's against the law to void the warranty for DIY, even though I use the dealer for regular oil change anyway. By the time I need spark plug change, the warranty is over at 100k miles.

If anyone can access the tranny fluid, at around 50,000-60,000 miles, I would love to see a lab analysis report (eg. https://www.blackstone-labs.com) if you can share it. Most manufacturers recommend that mileage for a tranny fluid change, I'm very curious how the Outlander PHEV tranny fluid is holding up.

yardbird88 said:
jaapv said:

But don't you have to prove that you followed the complete schedule? Which is very hard to do without being able to demonstrate the pertinent training, skills and gear, including the maintenance software, nor the required records and log readouts.

jaapv said:
yardbird88 said:
jaapv said:

But don't you have to prove that you followed the complete schedule? Which is very hard to do without being able to demonstrate the pertinent training, skills and gear, including the maintenance software, nor the required records and log readouts.

According to this link from the US government website, it does recommend receipts of service (point 4) to maintain warranty, so diy maintenance might complicate this: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance

Got my rear diff and front transaxle fluid changed at actual 30,000 km as part of last service due to the 'black with bits of metal' stories. OEM recommended fluid used.

The stuff that came out was neither black nor contained bits of metal (in fact looked like clean new fluid), so was unnecessary, but OEM used anyway, so good for peace of mind.

Back