Catalytic converter thefts

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgilyead

Apparently, thefts of catalytic converters from hybrids is on the increase (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49767195). This is because hybrids don't use up the precious metals in the converters as quickly. The PHEV might be at risk as it has a higher ride height and would be easier to get underneath to remove parts of the exhaust system. I hope nobody here has been a victim but it is as well to be aware.

Interesting thank you. Does anyone know where the catalytic converter is on the PHEV and how easily accessible it is?

I was about to ask this exact same question. Hopefully a mechanic will reply to tell us if the outlander PHEV catalyst is harder or easier than average to steal.

Mitsubishi suggest you'd open the bonnet to remove the catalytic converter.

Item #10 (Catalytic converter)
It bolts to the exhaust manifold I believe.

2014_exhaust_system.JPG

Even if you think you're vehicle is at high risk of this, what are you going to do about it? Weld up the fixings? Use 'security' bolts/nuts on an undertray?

littlescrote said:
Even if you think you're vehicle is at high risk of this, what are you going to do about it? Weld up the fixings? Use 'security' bolts/nuts on an undertray?

Did you read the article? It had several suggestions of what you could do.

rgilyead said:
littlescrote said:

No, were they Outlander PHEV specific and/or any use?

littlescrote said:
rgilyead said:
littlescrote said:

No, were they Outlander PHEV specific and/or any use?

You decide

One of the tips in the article says "Place a protective covering over the catalytic converter"
If you consider doing this, please keep in mind that a catalytic converter gets very hot during operation by design. Always consult a professional before placing any type of aftermarket cover over it.

On the other hand. If the car catches fire, it's unlikely the catalytic converter will get stolen. So a cover does get the job done :mrgreen:

Criminal gangs are believed to be targeting easily identifiable models such as the Toyota Prius and Lexus 400h, because hybrids contain more precious metals than other vehicles.
The surge in thefts is believed to be linked to the soaring value of two of the metals used in catalytic converters, rhodium and palladium, with gangs stripping the parts and selling them overseas.
Rhodium is trading at double its price at the start of the year and more than eight times its 2016 value.

Some Honda & Toyota models from 2015 onwards, have the catalytic converter placed within the engine bay, similar to the Mitsubishi Phev (pictured below),
so a thief would need to disassemble the car to get at it.

engine_%2B_cat.JPG

The Mitsubishi Phev has a very limited ground clearance like most cars so thiefy would need to jack up the car or open the bonnet.
I believe the catalytic converter was incorporated onto the exhaust manifold on earlier models of Phev.

Steering wheel airbag thefts are far more common. Basically they are being stolen to access explosives to blow up ATM machines.

jaapv said:
Steering wheel airbag thefts are far more common. Basically they are being stolen to access explosives to blow up ATM machines.
How many airbags does it take to blow up an ATM? I'd never heard of this theft, but a quick Google suggests they're more likely to be used as replacement parts.

How much money is involved selling the stolen part? I imagine it won't come close to the damage they do cutting it away with a blow torch... A second hand catalytic converter for a 2019 PHEV (with only 5.760km) can be found for only €275.
https://www.onderdelenlijn.nl/auto-...0/onderdeel/katalysator/onderdeelid/12037006/

Should you be interested in any other 2019 PHEV parts, it 's all there, apart from the battery (already sold) and all the parts at the front left side (as that is the reason the parts are available at all ;) )

Latest info on these thefts in paper today.... https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/feb/01/catalytic-converter-thefts-hybrid-car-insurance-toyota-prius#comments

Hello. Theft of the cat is a concern of mine too. I have just had a look under my car and also took a picture. Although access by a ‘skinny’ thief would be possible, without jacking up the car in my opinion, it would be very difficult to access the engine side of the cat without access to the engine compartment. Even with access the cat is tricky to get to - whilst the alarm sounder is going off near by!

Attachments

• B9A63851-FFF9-4BE0-9004-95B3FA530E0E.jpeg
    B9A63851-FFF9-4BE0-9004-95B3FA530E0E.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 47
That's reassuring. One thief found out the risks of doing this the hard way: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-51326361

Back