Outlander 2017 PHEV - Sealant for tyre

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topcat

My wife was driving and had a puncture. She retrieved the sealant kit only to find it had an expiry date of 02/19.
I would have probably just put this in the tyre but she called the RAC instead and they used their sealant.

Could anyone help with a UK online location to buy a new replacement in date bottle of sealant only.

Thanks
Topcat

Just Google it. There's plenty available. It's not specific to Mitsubishi, any will do the job (apparently, I've never used one).

Yes some do damage the tyre.

Apparently Quick Spair by Slime is water soluble so can be cleaned out, and is used by the AA.

Slime also do a version which you leave in the tyre long-term for puncture prevention, so it won't damage your tyre. I used to run it in the inner tubes on my bike before I went tubeless. I guess they still make it.

None of them will repair a gash in the sidewall, such as when you catch the sharp corner of a stone that's fallen off a dry-stone wall in the Lakes when you pull into a passing place to let a car come the other way. And then you find most tyre shops are closed at Easter. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

And breathe...

ThudnBlundr said:
None of them will repair a gash in the sidewall, such as when you catch the sharp corner of a stone that's fallen off a dry-stone wall in the Lakes when you pull into a passing place to let a car come the other way. And then you find most tyre shops are closed at Easter. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

And breathe...

And dare anyone on this forum ask you just how you have come to acquire this information :?:

I had a similar experience on a windswept moor in Northumberland - huge gash on inside edge of rear tyre - don't know what caused it but it went down very fast and very flat. Squish would have been no use at all. Fortunately I had a full size spare wheel and tyre in the boot - securely strapped-in with tie downs to the er, plastic clips thoughtfully fitted in the boot by Mitsubishi (let's hope these plastic clips could withstand the inertia of a full size wheel and tyre if the vehicle had for any reason to stop suddenly, the tie downs could but I'm not sure about the clips). Not everyone perhaps wants a very large wheel and tyre in the boot (I wrap the tyre in cling-film otherwise it's smelly when it gets warm) but I actually find it quite useful for stopping the shopping from flying about. There are only two of us though so no children/dogs to fill the space

Fortunately the spare wheel had a part-worn Toyo on it that matched perfectly the wear on the good tyre still left on the other side. This of course is the other joy of any 4X4 and probably electric as well, each tyre on each axle should have the same (or very close) amount of wear. The other issue with the Toyo R37 is that it's not always easy to get hold of quickly. It took me three days to get hold of one in Scotland. I'm currently running on my Pirelli Sottozero winter tyres - if one of those was damaged beyond repair in for instance, January - I suspect getting one or possibly two replacements would be impossible.

Winter tyre availabilty appears to deteriorate as actual winter (just when you might need them!) progresses. I carry a spare R37 from my summer set (wheels and tyres - couldn't be faffed to have tyres changed every season) in the winter which would at least get me home. The two different sets of TPMS valves (about £30 each!) can be accommodated by the Mitsubishi dash display by switching from '1' to '2'. My winter wheels are powder coated to withstand the Scottish winter better than the diamond cut standard finish.

Another thing to consider with punctures is that if your wheels haven't been taken off for a while they can easily get stuck on to the hubs. The alloy of the wheel reacts with the steel of the hub and sticks very firmly. Best to put a thin smear of copper grease on the hub to prevent this. There are some who are of the opinion that you shouldn't do this (I don't think they have grease applied at the factory) but I've always done it. Also I discovered that when I had my wheels powder coated the thickness of the coating also made the wheels stick to the hubs. So even if you have a spare available you may not be able to get the wheel off anyway. In the event that the wheel does come off carry an extendable wheel brace (extended 'open' position for getting the nuts undone and shorter 'closed' position for doing them up again). The wheelbrace supplied with the car is useless. Also have the jack (the Mitsubishi supplied jack is actually fine) and the extendable wheelbrace where you can actually get to them - not under the floor panel where you really can't.

The best you can hope for is not to get a puncture at all. In the old days of Morris Marinas and Austin Allegros changing a wheel was a simple process. Not any more though.

Down in Yorkshire, we can get by on all-weather tyres. I did fit winter tyres to a car, but got heartily sick of swapping them over twice a year, and the switch wasn't cheap. They were a revaslation though after summer tyresI did buy a couple of rims, which made it easier. The problem with buying winter tyres in winter is that everyone leaves buying them till they need them, so everyone runs out at the first hint of snow :roll:

On the next car we fitted Michelin CrossClimates, so that we wouldn't have to swap them twice a year. They will get us up the unploughed country lane, round the sharp right-angle bend onto our steep shared drive and get us home, while summer-tyred cars are left 500m away. We've fitted them on 3 cars now, and I plan to fit them on the PHEV once the rear Toyos are low enough.

Back