common abbrevition

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cividan

Hi all, I'm reading the forum and find alot of abbreviation/acronym and since english is only my 2nd language some of them are really not obvious. Do you have a list of commonly used acronym anywhere I can refer to?

Maybe you could list ones you do not understand? Happy to help, if we can. Most abbreviations are straight from the Owner's Manual. One which you might see is ICE, for Internal Combustion Engine (the petrol engine).

Well its not like i read the whole manual after getting the car a month ago.

Ice was Indeed ine or them, other that comes to mind
Soc
Mcu
Mmcs
Ecu
Bcu
Bmu
Soh
ESC
Mut 3

Let's start with these and i,ll come back for more later.
:)

No, you need at least a year to get through the manual. ;) . It's not the easiest read.

Here's the ones I know.

SoC = State of Charge (of the battery)
Mcu = ?
MMCS = Mitsubishi Multi Communications System (The big info centre)
ECU = Electronic Control Unit ( One of several electronic units controlling various functions of the car)
BCU = ?
BMU = Battery Management unit (It looks after the cells in the battery, equalising and protecting the battery to some extent)
SoH = State of Health (of the battery)
ESC = Electronic Stability Control (Prevents slipping and sliding if you get it wrong!)
MUT3 = Some computer thing that Mitsubishi use to investigate and reset some battery parameters (I think).

No doubt I haven't got them all right, but that's what I understand them to be. I await correction!

SAE J1772 = Society of Automotive Engineers. J1772 is the standard connector between an EVSE and a PHEV or BEV.
EVSE = Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (technically this is not a "charger" because the charger, the OBC is inside the vehicle)
OBC = On Board Charger, the component inside the vehicle that converts AC power to DC power and charges the battery
PHEV = Plug In Hybrid Vehicle
BEV = Battery Electric Vehicle
TPMS = Tire Pressure Monitoring System
ABS = Antilock Braking System
VSC = Vehicle Stability Control
TRAC = Traction Control
CHAdeMO = CHArge de MOve (may be a backronym, apparently this was from the Japanese phrase "O cha demo ikaga desuka" relating to the fact that it can charge a car about as fast as you can have a cup of tea)
CCS = Combined Charging System (competing DCFC to CHAdeMO)
DCFC = DC Fast Charging

Back