Outlander PHEV android App - instruction how to make it work

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cividan

After having alot of problem with the "Outlander PHEV" android App I was finally able to make it work on 2 different phone, Blackberry PRIV (Android 6) and Motorola G6 Play (Android 9) after reading from the thread in the technical sub-forum https://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3380 and from the official mitsubishi diagnostic page I came up with this procedure which allow you to use the app when you want.

here's an update on how I made it work:

1- Turn on "Air plane mode"
2- Reactive WiFi
2b- Make sure "location service" is ON (at least for pairing as newer version now require this. You wont find the car wifi in the app without this and will only see a white screen when selecting wifi)
3- Launch the "PHEV app"
4- use the app all you need (Synchronis it with the car Wifi if it's the first time you use it)
5- VERY IMPORTANT - leave the app by using the "back button", if the app spin for more than 2-3 secondes re-open the app and close it again using the "back button" (this force the app to close the WiFi connection to the car)
6- Deactivate the "air plane mode"
7- close the app like you would close any other app as the app stays in background.
8- user your phone like you would normally do.

Repeat when you need to use the app,
I know that this is a real pain but at least it work as long as you follow these step you don't need to forgot your home WiFi, just follow these steps each time you want to use the app.

I just sent this information to my sale guy as apparently not many people know how to make this app work.

Edit: added step 2b about location service.

These instructions worked great! Thanks. I would add that, after registration, I no longer have to go through the airplane/wifi ritual to use the app. I simply open the app, it connects to the PHEV, and do my thing. I should also say, my phone always has wifi ON. It seems to know how to move off my home wifi and onto the PHEV without any human interaction.

grcarp789 said:
These instructions worked great! Thanks. I would add that, after registration, I no longer have to go through the airplane/wifi ritual to use the app. I simply open the app, it connects to the PHEV, and do my thing. I should also say, my phone always has wifi ON. It seems to know how to move off my home wifi and onto the PHEV without any human interaction.

Hi, what brand of phone and android version do you use. On my side with 2 different phone I always have to go into airplane mode then reactivate wifi to be able to use the app otherwise the app is not talking to the car.

I bought my PHEV used so I don't know what options are fitted. How do I know whether or not mine has the wifi feature?

trevortron said:
I bought my PHEV used so I don't know what options are fitted. How do I know whether or not mine has the wifi feature?
My understanding is they had this feature for a while so most chance that you have it. If you stand right next to the car, with your phone go into the wifi settings and look for wifi network, you should see a different wifi network than if you stand few hundred feet away from the car this network will no longer be there. I bookmarked a post in this forum about wifi reset procedure. I never tried that as the car is new and we didn't had the need to do this but I tought it be usefull one day.

https://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3342

The SSID of the car WiFi is of the format REMOTE99xxxx. If you can see a network with this name on your phone (when you're close enough to the vehicle), then it's got WiFi. In the UK I think only the 3 version doesn't have WiFi (certainly my 4h does).

I recently got a new phone and installed the A.3.0.1 version of the Remote Ctrl app. Previous phone used A.2.1.0. (Android 6).
The new version app works well on the new phone (Galaxy A50, Android 9). Same features but different graphical interface. I find it has better range so I don't have to be right beside the car, although that is probably a function of the phone.

A few weeks ago it suddenly stopped working on the new phone. The old one still connected okay, so I suspected the new app. Nothing I tried would make it connect. I was going to re-install and re-do the registration procedure when by chance I clicked on the error code link in the app. It links to Mitsubishi's troubleshooting site but (ironically) only when you are not connected to the car. One of the things it said was to turn on Location service. I had started turning Location off while at home, so I turned it back on and the app immediately started connecting to the car again.

With version A.2.1.0 I was able to turn Location on and off without Remote Ctrl issues. Not sure why Mitsubishi needs to know where I use the Remote Ctrl app but there doesn't seem to be a choice with this one. FWIW.

Unfortunately the instructions above don't help me with my new Moto G8 plus running Android 9. The phone connects briefly to the car but repeatedly switches back to my home wifi. Location on or off makes no difference. I'm having to use my old phone and PhevII app as remote.

MikkB said:
The phone connects briefly to the car but repeatedly switches back to my home wifi.

Your phone is set up to automatically switch to the strongest Wi-Fi signal; try pairing when your home, or any other known Wi-Fi connection is out of range.
Once the pairing is done the app should connect to the car whenever it is launched.

Nibbo said:
MikkB said:
The phone connects briefly to the car but repeatedly switches back to my home wifi.

Your phone is set up to automatically switch to the strongest Wi-Fi signal; try pairing when your home, or any other known Wi-Fi connection is out of range.
Once the pairing is done the app should connect to the car whenever it is launched.

Thanks for the suggestion Nibbo. I already switched off my home Wi-Fi and successfully paired the phone with the car. However when I launch the app it won't stay connected to the car for more than a few seconds. Unless I'm away from home.

The magnificence of this app keeps going. I have never seen an app that cause so much trouble for doing so little, that is insane. On my phone I always have to go into airplane mode and reactivating wifi before starting the PHEV app otherwise it never talk to the car since the phone detect no internet connectivity and seem to always try to communicate via the LTE signal. Switching LTE radio off by using airplane mode is the only way to make the app talk to the car for me using 3 different phone:

Blackberry Priv - Android 6
Moto G6 Play - Android 9
OnePlus 7T - Android 10

App version A.3.0.1

Back