SDA (SmartPhone display) and loss of signal

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldCrock

The Outlander now has SDA, so for directions Apple Maps is default or, with later iPhones, Google Maps can be requested by using SIRI virtual assistant.

My question refers to using Maps as a 'sat nav' and suddenly finding there's no signal for the phone and the 'satnav=maps' suddenly packs up (= black screen) This sat-nav seems a retrograde step to having the older in-built SatNav, as in earlier versions of the PHEV.

I was using the Apple Maps and being directed, when a police roadblock, due to an accident, sent me off down a country road. I had absolutely no idea where I was, and suddenly a black screen and no directional voice to rely on.....

Any comments?

I can't speak for Apple, but Android allows you to download maps in advance, to overcome this problem (and to reduce mobile phone bills).

The disadvantage with the new system, compared to the old, is that in my area I have never lost a satellite GPS signal but we have many areas where the phone signal is very poor/non-existent.
The old sat-nav never went down, always showing the car's location, but on recent experience with my new car, it appears the new phone-based system will be unreliable with no map, no instructions and no idea of location. (Should add this is in the UK)

ThudnBlundr said:
Afraid that's totally wrong jaapv

When we went on holiday in Montenegro this summer, we were faced with significant roaming charges as it's outside the EU. So we downloaded the area onto Google Maps before we arrived, and used the GPS in our phone (and most other smartphones) to navigate. GPS uses a totally different system to the phone signal, so you always have access to GPS as long as you can "see" the satellites. There's even an app to map you position when you have no access to data - what3words will give you a 3-word location even when the phone's in airplane mode[

Umm... I think I mentioned GPS.

jaapv said:
Ah - well. When the telephone signal fails, Google has no idea where you are...
jaapv said:
Even if the map is there, your position on the map cannot be determined without signal (or GPS ;) )
jaapv said:
Umm... I think I mentioned GPS.
You did, but the first 2 statements are still wrong. Your position on the map CAN be determined without a phone signal. Download the map in Google and it behaves similarly to the in-car satnav

Splitting hairs - if you have GPS signal on your phone it is obvious you can use it. If it is sitting somewhere inside and you lose the phone signal as well, even Google maps loses track.
In-car SatNav usually has a well-placed antenna and will function better in this scenario.

Back