deactivate airbag

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VillageIdiotDan

Hi, looked everywhere and can't find the button/answer..... Anybody know how to deactivate the front passenger airbags pls as I need to carry a baby seat.

Thanks,

Dan

On my 2014 4H model, it's next to the glovebox in the door opening. Open the passenger door and look into the car. The manual does say that you shouldn't carry a rear-facing baby seat in the front. So why allow the airbag to be de-activated? Puzzling.

Regulo said:
On my 2014 4H model, it's next to the glovebox in the door opening. Open the passenger door and look into the car. The manual does say that you shouldn't carry a rear-facing baby seat in the front. So why allow the airbag to be de-activated? Puzzling.

You absolute star, perfect timing - thank you.

Is it legal in the UK to have a baby in the front? From a safety point of view it would not be my choice.

We once owned a Smart Fortwo as a second car. Our daughter was a baby back then (16 now :D ). Lacking a back seat, we bought an original rear-facing isofix mounted babyseat at the dealership. It was very stable, our daughter was well protected on all sides and it was fixed properly. The airbag was even switched off automatically when the babyseat was mounted (it was also the most expensive babyseat I have ever come across :lol: ). If we would have felt is was unsafe in any way, we wouldn't have done it.

For most of the cars (including the Outlander), I actually don't really see why placing the same Isofix rear-facing babyseat in the back would be safer then placing it up front (provided the airbag is off of course). In the Smart it was definately safer to place the seat in the front :mrgreen:

From the internet:

"In most cases, head-on collisions are worse than rear-end crashes."

So baby is possibly safer in the back.

Thanks all. Yup, that's our deciaion as well for our child - safer in the back. Irrespective, on this rare occasion that's not an option so my thanks for everyone's help in finding the off switch. Dan

Back