rizwanrasheed
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:09 pm

Poor mpg on outlander phev

Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:32 pm

Hi I recently bought outlander phev 2015, which has driven only 87000 miles. Unfortunately my car fuel consumption is low, my car given 35 miles per gallon, I have spoke with other friends who have outlander , they say we are getting 45-50 mpg. I have diagnosed it from Mitsubishi dealer they said there is nothing wrong with vehicle but I know there is definitely some problem , I have driven this on eco and normal mode I noticed mpg in both mode is same which suppose to be low in normal mode I think. I would need suggestion what needs to be done or checked on this car.
Thank you in advance.

Nibbo
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri May 31, 2019 4:55 am

Re: Poor mpg on outlander phev

Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:48 am

A lot depends on the type of journey you are making.
My daily commute is only 15 miles so I don't even get a MPG value as it exceeds 100 and I use 95%+ electric only.
On a 150 mile round trip without any recharging I was getting roughly 35.

michael8554
Posts: 225
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:16 am

Re: Poor mpg on outlander phev

Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:43 am

At 20 Centigrade I get 28 miles and 45mpg on a long run with no heater or aircon.
Now at 5C I get 20 miles and 35mpg with the heater on (no electric heating on my base model).
On short trips with the heater and hence ICE on I see 15mpg!
2014 3H, 20K Miles
Bought June 2019
podPOINT 16Amp EVSE
Wiltshire UK

greendwarf
Posts: 2219
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:32 pm

Re: Poor mpg on outlander phev

Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:54 am

michael8554 wrote:At 20 Centigrade I get 28 miles and 45mpg on a long run with no heater or aircon.
Now at 5C I get 20 miles and 35mpg with the heater on (no electric heating on my base model).
On short trips with the heater and hence ICE on I see 15mpg!
Similar yesterday up and down M1/M6 from London to West Midlands but up journey was much better because of slow moving traffic - well below 70mph. Whereas, slamming down the A1 in France at a constant 85mph returned under 30mpg. So speed has a very big influence due to poor drag coefficient, I'm afraid. :cry:

Nibbo
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri May 31, 2019 4:55 am

Re: Poor mpg on outlander phev

Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:59 am

michael8554 wrote:On short trips with the heater and hence ICE on I see 15mpg!
I have seen it that low but the only reason was that on leaving my house I went up a steep hill and only drove about 3 miles.
Obviously the steep hill caused the ICE to kick in and over the short journey was not able to average out the MPG.
Mine is a 2015 also so I don't think there is much wrong, just how the thing works really.
Generally I see over 100 because my daily commute is just under 20 miles which seems to be the sweet spot for best MPG.

jaapv
Posts: 4582
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:18 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: Poor mpg on outlander phev

Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:58 am

rizwanrasheed wrote:Hi I recently bought outlander phev 2015, which has driven only 87000 miles. Unfortunately my car fuel consumption is low, my car given 35 miles per gallon, I have spoke with other friends who have outlander , they say we are getting 45-50 mpg. I have diagnosed it from Mitsubishi dealer they said there is nothing wrong with vehicle but I know there is definitely some problem , I have driven this on eco and normal mode I noticed mpg in both mode is same which suppose to be low in normal mode I think. I would need suggestion what needs to be done or checked on this car.
Thank you in advance.
35 mpg sounds quite possible for average use, although it can vary wildly. It all depends on usage.
What roads do you drive? How hard do you push the vehicle? What is your ratio electric/ICE? What is the outside temperature? What pressure do you run your tyres? etc.
I seriously doubt that there is anything wrong with the car. And yes,the ECO button does not make a significant difference.
Instyle 2019
Titanium Grey
Before:
Instyle+ 2013

littlescrote
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:52 am

Re: Poor mpg on outlander phev

Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:38 am

greendwarf wrote:So speed has a very big influence due to poor drag coefficient, I'm afraid. :cry:
Not doubting that speed has a big influence, but I don't know if it's down to just poor drag coefficient - I suspect that the large frontal area
has quite an impact as the 'wind resistance' is a factor of both ;-)

Steel188
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:06 pm
Location: My office is in Letchworth, UK

Re: Poor mpg on outlander phev

Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:41 pm

There is nothing wrong with your car, my late 2015 (facelift) car now has 121,000 miles showing and I would be delighted to average 35mpg! But i rarely do.

If I commute to the office, it's 2 miles, but I cannot charge there or at home. When I go out anywhere, I'm lucky if the round trip is less than 50 miles, 250 mile days happen at least once a week and 500 mile days, wouldn't raise any eyebrows.

Where possible (don't laugh, I live in the South East) I cruise at a Sat Nav regulated 70mph (shows as 74 on speedo), but I also do 10,000 miles pa either on the M25 or in London.

But I do all this is the quiet, sumpremely comfortable cabin with the superb view over the long bonnet just dreaming of a 75 litre fuel tank and 40mpg, but I can't have everything!!
Richard

GX3h+ From February 2016
Atlantic Grey
Based in Letchworth - 30K+ pa Company Car

greendwarf
Posts: 2219
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:32 pm

Re: Poor mpg on outlander phev

Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:39 am

littlescrote wrote:
greendwarf wrote:So speed has a very big influence due to poor drag coefficient, I'm afraid. :cry:
Not doubting that speed has a big influence, but I don't know if it's down to just poor drag coefficient - I suspect that the large frontal area
has quite an impact as the 'wind resistance' is a factor of both ;-)
Isn't drag coefficient the posh way of saying "wind resistance"? :lol: - but also is the constant (a function of the shape) used to calculate the effort needed, which increases with speed.

trevortron
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:23 am

Re: Poor mpg on outlander phev

Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:27 pm

It is a big, heavy lump of a car, I think 30 mpg is very reasonable. If you can't use the batteries for the majority of your miles perhaps a PHEV isn't for you.
I read a few reviews on Trust Pilot prior to buying mine and quite a few owners were (unfairly imho) criticising their cars for returning poor MPG on long journeys.
I have covered about 5000 km in 6 months on just 2 tankfuls, because the majority of my running about is on electric.

Return to “General / Main Outlander PHEV Owners Forum”