Confused over various parking sensor options offered

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roly

Hi All
I had a long test drive in a 2020MY PHEV yesterday and am very keen to place an order in the not too distant future.

One thing that I didn't like is the lack of standard parking sensors (yes, it has a rear camera but I've always preferred wing mirrors with sensor blips for added reassurance).

There seem to be two versions/part numbers for the sensors on the Mitsubishi UK website - e.g.
Parts SP033796 and SP042136 are both described as "rear parking sensor kit (4 eye)". The only difference is the pricing - the first is £259.99 and the latte £178.70 - so I assume there must be some difference.

Similarly for the front sensors, there are two kits SP033788 and SP042169 - £223.99 and £195.59 respectively.

Having had various cars with factory-fitted sensors (BMWs, VWs, Audi) all of which integrate fully with the car's audio and driver information systems, I'm loathed to pay what is quite a lot of money for system which isn't similarly integrated. If it is, then fair enough. I've also fitted a cheap sub £30 kit to our Citroen C3, so I'm aware of what a non-integrated system is like (actually very good for the money paid).

Thanks all

I read up on this also as I have a 4h which has a camera but no sensors.
It would appear that the ones offered as accessories are not Mitsubishi manufactured but after market kits anyway! Someone please chime in if I was mis-informed.
I have actually heard that they are pretty bad too...

In the end I bagged a cheap eBay set and got our workshop (my company has its own!) to fit them.
I have omitted the brand as to be fair I think they are not the best, but they are OK...

Personally, I think they are essential, others will disagree, but I am very glad I fitted them.
If for no other reason than I get a BEEP when I accidentally select reverse when I meant to select Drive! It is easy to do trust me...

I only did rear ones, fronts would be nice but a bit more involved as you would want an on/off button somewhere to switch them off in traffic.

I've got a 2016 3h+ so Mitsu fitted the sensors after production. They work well, but the speaker is put behind soundproofed cladding(!!!!) so stereo down, heater off to hear it. A world away from stereo integration.

only did rear ones, fronts would be nice but a bit more involved as you would want an on/off button somewhere to switch them off in traffic

I understand, but would like to see confirmation, that the Mitsubishi front kit has a canbus interface which will (presumably) activate/deactivate the sensors above/below a set speed.

I am frustrated how little information seems to be readily available. I think it also comes with a switch but I am quite picky about such things and would want to ensure it is an OEM switch not some aftermarket cheap and nasty thing.

roly said:
would want to ensure it is an OEM switch not some aftermarket cheap and nasty thing.

Cant find it right now but there is a thread on here somewhere that says they has the Mitsubishi ones as advertised in their options/accessories brochure.
They were no impressed with the operation or the supplied switch which did not look like a factory fit; I will try to find it and link...

roly said:
only did rear ones, fronts would be nice but a bit more involved as you would want an on/off button somewhere to switch them off in traffic

I understand, but would like to see confirmation, that the Mitsubishi front kit has a canbus interface which will (presumably) activate/deactivate the sensors above/below a set speed.

I am frustrated how little information seems to be readily available. I think it also comes with a switch but I am quite picky about such things and would want to ensure it is an OEM switch not some aftermarket cheap and nasty thing.

The Genuine accessory kits i have fitted have no interface to the canbus network. The on off switch that i have fitted in the Australian kit does not look like a OEM switch. It is the right size, and fits in one of the blank holes easily, just looks "not right". I have heard of complaints about it before.

Best advice is Buy the model that has the factory kit.

factory fit option is as fully integrated as it gets on these. you get a dash switch and the dash display comes up with which sensor is the closest etc. the crap thing with even the factory fit ones and an official tow bar accessory loom is that the rears are not disabled in reverse when you have something attached to the towing electrics.

Hi All
Thanks for replies so far.

I have obtained a set of original dealer-fit Mitsubishi front sensors for a pretty good price. Once they are delivered I will report back on what is included in the kit. I believe they kit includes a can-bus interface module and a dash switch.

Okay, so here is what is included in the official Mitsubishi dealer-fit front sensor kit (SP042169 in the UK)

1x Meta Systems ActivePark 14/4 parking sensor module, sounder and 4x sensors

1x dashboard switch. This is a bit odd. My kit is dated November 2015 and the switch is not the standard Outlander fit. The instructions suggest mounting it just below and to the right of the speedometer (on the instrument facia). The instructions also state that kits dated mid-2016 onwards have a switch which will directly fit one of the unoccupied spaces on the Outlander's dash. I have emailed the UK distributor (vestatec) to enquire if it is possible to obtain one of these newer style switches. The switch is not the same as the factory-fit OEM switch but is close enough to not cause offence.

1x Keetec M CAN can bus interface module (this is used to read the vehicle speed from can bus (found in fuse box behind glovebox) and convert it into a 0V/12V signal for the ActivePark module.

The standard installation will give the following features:
* automatic activation when speed is below 6mph (actually this speed is re-configurable using the dash button)
* automatic activation when Reverse is engaged
* manual activation when the dash button is pressed
* manual deactivation from all above modes when dash button is pressed

There is also an output from the ActivePark module to mute audio - I'll have to work out if the OEM infotainment has a compatible input. The ActivePark system does not write any information back to the can bus so there is no option to show sensor status on the infotainment / driver information screen.

My Mitsubishi Outlander 2020 PHEV GT doesn't have parking sensors which is a bit odd. I had a European one and it had both front and back parking sensors. Now the GT has 360 camera so I'm not sure I need the parking sensors.

Any suggestions on how to install them and recommendations on what exactly to buy?

Back