Hybrid fault

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Faulken

Hi has anyone had an issue which the phev when the battery is empty my main drive engine is not coming on so we are only driving via the generator, the problem is I’m in France and I’ve got drive 740 miles , there are no fault lights on ?

Just to clear up a few points.
You say you're driving via the generator. Do you mean Regeneration from the EV motors?
The generator is run by the petrol engine (ICE)
Do the SAVE and CHRG messages come up on the dash when you hit those buttons?
Is the fuel gauge indicating the presence of fuel?

After that it's the usual ICE fault finding - fuel pump working, spark at the spark plug etc, which will be tricky as you can't crank the ICE.

Hi no the car is not running on regen , the ice dose start but only the generator that charges the battery comes on and dose not use the main drive to move the car ie: the orange arrow to the wheels on the display , all that shows is the blue arrow from the generator to the battery and battery to the wheels?

The ICE can only drive the wheels above 70kmh ish due to having no gearbox. If the ICE is running before that it is only charging. This is how it is designed to work.

This has happened to me before, but going up a hill with an empty battery. I think the car wants/needs to recharge the battery all all costs and decides not to emgage the transmission until it reaches a level of charge.

It's not just that - at the lower speed range where it sometime engages, the gearing is such (think 5th or 6th gear) that the speed is low and therefore power available is not that great. If more power is needed than can be supplied at that rpm, it has no choice but to decouple and rev higher to make more power via the generator.

Back