UK Over 70's

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAUK

I'm sure that I'm not alone in being over 70 in the UK, having a PHEV in the garage, and wondering when I will be driving it next. Provided it does not become compulsory to stay indoors, and provided I/we continue to have no symptoms, it appears that my wife and I could take our cars out for a run, and we could well consider this. However if things change, and we are advised not to leave home, then I would probably aim to regularly start my wife's petrol Polo and let it tickover for a few minutes - with the garage door open!! but presumably I will need to start mine with the heating/aircon turned on to force the ICE to start.

Anyone else with alternative plans for the situation.

MY16

Note: I have a battery charger for the Polo if necessary.

Not such a good idea. The PHEV engine is built to withstand regular cold starts and stops, but the Polo will suffer from not letting the engine warm properly frequently*. Just leave it when not used, it won't come to any harm. If the battery worries you, get a trickle charger.

*it is even a very bad idea to let a car idle in cold weather to " warm it up". The best way is to drive off leisurely to get to operating temperature as quickly as possible. The idle warm up dates back to the times that oils were not able to provide proper lubrication at low temperatures. Those times are long behind us.

Don't see what your problem is, get in the car and drive it, just don't take a half dozen grandchildren with you.
My wife and I are both over 70 and on Thurs ( 19th May) we will hook up the caravan and go to Sandringham for the week.

If you are in good health, and can keep your distance from others (within reason), I'd be inclined to "Keep calm and carry on". My partner is 89, and won't countenance foregoing her Wednesday and Thursday meals out! Her reasoning? "I've had a good long life, and if I get it and die, at least I'll be happy. I've got to die of something". Different generation, tougher stuff.

Thanks for the contributions. I think that, as with most things, we will all listen to the information available and make our own judgement on how we proceed - and no doubt we will all be different.

whatever your situation with going out or not, jaapv has the correct advice for the health of your engine's. either drive them properly or leave them alone. starting them briefly is much worse than both of those.

Back