Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: On Street Charging
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:47 pm
Posts: 8
Good evening.

We have just ordered our new Outlander, due to be delivered shortly. We live in an end Terrace with no off street parking. At the rear of our house is a narrow street that is usually blocked at night by our car and the car at the other end of the Terrace (about 50 metres away).

Our intent is to charge the car overnight there, and then top up as and when we can elsewhere.

Does anyone else have any experience of this, or tips, suggestions, ideas etc etc?

Would be really interested to hear from anyone who has.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: On Street Charging
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 4:09 pm
Posts: 206
Perfectly fine to charge over night. How many miles you will do in daytime?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: On Street Charging
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:26 am
Posts: 95
Just a word of warning from me - make sure that you don't create a trip hazard. Either someone could genuinely fall over it, or an opportunist could look to make a spurious claim.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: On Street Charging
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:47 pm
Posts: 8
bigbaldbloke wrote:
Just a word of warning from me - make sure that you don't create a trip hazard. Either someone could genuinely fall over it, or an opportunist could look to make a spurious claim.


I had wondered that. I’m going to put a cable protector down on the floor, plus the rear of our house is covered by cctv.

Besides, where I live there’s that many potholes and terrible surfaces that a cable is the least likely trip hazard!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: On Street Charging
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:47 pm
Posts: 8
Kesto wrote:
Perfectly fine to charge over night. How many miles you will do in daytime?


It will mostly be used by my wife, and no more than the electric range, hence wanting to charge overnight. It was more the location of the charging that was giving me concern, and I wanted to know if anyone else charged their car in the same manor.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: On Street Charging
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:18 pm
Posts: 4411
Location: Netherlands
I guess most owners will charge their car overnight. I have a charger on the side of the house and a 20 meter charging cable running to my parking spot in the drive. That is a better solution than using an extension cable on the car charging box, which is, in theory, not allowed and less safe, but works as well.

_________________
Instyle+ 2013
Titanium Grey
Off-white leather
Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: On Street Charging
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:47 pm
Posts: 8
jaapv wrote:
I guess most owners will charge their car overnight. I have a charger on the side of the house and a 20 meter charging cable running to my parking spot in the drive. That is a better solution than using an extension cable on the car charging box, which is, in theory, not allowed and less safe, but works as well.


I think you’ve missed my point. I’m happy for the car charging overnight, it’s the fact it will be on the street on charge, not a driveway as we don’t have one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: On Street Charging
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:18 pm
Posts: 4411
Location: Netherlands
No I didn't. I if you read the rest of my post, I advise you to have a charger on your house and a long charge cable (they can be ordered) as that is more safe and legal. To put the car charging brick on an extension cable works, but basically it is against the norm and a common extension lead is less robust and might overheat. at least use a 16A one with heavy-duty plugs.

_________________
Instyle+ 2013
Titanium Grey
Off-white leather
Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: On Street Charging
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:47 pm
Posts: 8
jaapv wrote:
No I didn't. I if you read the rest of my post, I advise you to have a charger on your house and a long charge cable (they can be ordered) as that is more safe and legal. To put the car charging brick on an extension cable works, but basically it is against the norm and a common extension lead is less robust and might overheat. at least use a 16A one with heavy-duty plugs.


I can’t put a charger on my house as I don’t have a driveway. From what I’ve read no one will install one?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: On Street Charging
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:18 pm
Posts: 4411
Location: Netherlands
I installed one myself on a convenient wall, which happened to be 20 meters from the spot where I park my car - so I bought a long type1-type2 cable. It is not rocket science. Just make sure to follow the relevant norm and distribute the load correctly.

_________________
Instyle+ 2013
Titanium Grey
Off-white leather
Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
© Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum - part of the MyElectricCarForums.com Group