It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Wheel Nuts
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:24 am 

Going back to the original question...

I always find two grunts and an elbow click perfectly adequate! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:52 am 

Location: Forres, Scotland, UK. 2014 GX4h with clear rear light lenses.
Well yes, if you have that most essential tool a telescopic wheelbrace (ie. extendable) then you undo the nut in the extended position and do it up in the 'closed' position. Can't go wrong really as in the 'closed' position (de-extended), with the strength of your average arm, it'll be around 100Nms anyway. For gawds sake don't ever do the nut up in the extended position though.

As I change my winter/summer wheel 'n' tyre combination every six months (I always use a torque wrench) I never get any trouble with stuck nuts (or wheels - a smear of copper grease on the hub and stud threads, but hey that's another whole other subject of controversy). Although a Mitsubishi main dealer did the nuts up on one of my wheels around four months ago and two of the nuts were way above 100Nm. One of them was the locking nut and it was scarily tight. I don't know how they manage to do this as they always to my knowledge use a torque wrench. I recently witnessed an overtightened locking wheelnut on a BMW (done-up by a Jaguar main dealer with a torque wrench - I actually saw them do it) that snapped off when undone. Took around 4 hours and a seriously damaged alloy to get that wheel off again.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:37 am 

NightPHEVer wrote:
As I change my winter/summer wheel 'n' tyre combination every six months (I always use a torque wrench) I never get any trouble with stuck nuts (or wheels - a smear of copper grease on the hub and stud threads, but hey that's another whole other subject of controversy).

Same here. The manual specifically states not to use lubrication on the threads though, as it reduces the tightening torque (as you say though, that is a whole other subject).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:47 am 

Oops! Reminds me, must change mine over, in case we get released from Lockdown and I'm suddenly asked to belt up the M1 @ 80 mph in 25c weather on some domestic emergency and I still have the winters on :oops: