Reset TPMS

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mellobob

I had my tires switched from winter to summer the other at a local tire shop. They didn't know about the settings for the sensors ... so I told the guy not worry, I'd get it later. Of course, I forgot for a day and now I can't do it.

This is 2018 Canada model. The dealer set the 2 sets of wheels up so that the summer is set 1 and winter 2. Now, I'm supposed to go to the settings menu by pushing the button on the dashboard ... but, when I get to the settings menu there is a TPMS warning message which I cannot clear. Tried long press, engine running/off, etc.

So, what's the secret sauce?

Replying to my own mail ... got it working. Seems that one needs to have the park brake on as well to access this. Have it in park AND the park brake ... don't want to be moving when doing this I guess :)

Yes, I just discovered that the park brake has to be applied on my UK 2014 GX4h for the 'setting menu' graphic to be available on the centre dash 'scroll through' options. Otherwise it just doesn't come up at all as an option. I've owned my GX4h for 4 years without knowing this! It took me around 15 minutes and close observation of the owner's manual before I eventually worked it out. I guess on previous occasions I just happened to have the handbrake on at the time. The '1' '2' reset function always works correctly after a few hundred yards on the road.

My summer wheels still have the original TPMS valves fitted which are now 6 years old - so I wonder how long they're going to last? I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere on this forum that the sensors only 'transmit' when in use though, so as they're off the car for 6 months every year then perhaps the batteries will last longer. When I eventually do have to replace the summer tyres (fairly soon) I guess I'll fit new valves though. The last time I bought some they were around £35 each!

Here's a picture of an actual Mitsubishi TPMS valve - not something that I find reason to show to anyone usually.

Attachments

• TPMSvalve.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 70
I recommend always using the handbrake when parking to exercise the mechanism as much as possible to try and prevent seizure.

That's a genuine Continental sensor.
I bought a set of 4 last year but managed to get a set of wheels with some good ones fitted already.
Never opened the packaging on the new sensors. :roll:

Just to keep it simple(r) I went to Garage Five in Richmond BC.

For my Winter wheels they installed 4 after-market TPMS sensors.

They were able to read my OEM summer tire RFID codes and copy/paste them to the after-market sensors and install them on the winter tires.

No additional programming required in the vehicle, and the cost for all 4 aftermarket sensors + programming was less than the cost of one OEM sensor (with no programming) from Surrey Mitsubishi.

As you will have noticed these are made by Continental. I bought a second set branded, as above, as Mitsu in 2015 but never fitted them as I didn't get a second set of wheels until last year. However, when fitted by my dealer they couldn't be "read" because, presumably, the batteries had gone flat - despite not being used (see above). As a result, I not only had to pay for another set of valves but also to have the tyres removed and re-fitted again

Continental have a 5 year warranty on these but although I have repeatedly e-mailed them to ask how I go about claiming against the warranty, all I get back are acknowledgements (apparently from work experience staff :roll: ) promising a reply - but bugger all!

So much for fabled German efficiency :evil:

Back