new 2.4 PHEV Towing a caravan

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3575

I am new to all this we only picked our PHEV a couple of days ago, it such a steep learning curve.

In a couple of weeks we are going to tow our caravan, however, all the towing information is about the older 2.0 model, the 2.4 user manual make no mention of switching to Charge mode for towing ?

Do I just let the PHEV sort it self out, I am only used to towing with diesels.

I don't tow, so feel free to disregard my 2p-worth :), but I don't think you'll go far wrong letting the car do its own thing. The only time you really need to use Charge mode is if you've got a severe climb ahead (we're talking Alpine passes, here), that you need to start with reasonably full charge, to avoid the car dropping into 'tortoise' mode.

It's true that by manipulating the braking levels and playing with Save/Charge you can squeeze out a few percent better fuel economy, but not everyone wants the bother.

I only tow from Stafford to the New Forest Hampshire only a couple of largish hills, but nothing major like Cornwall, but as I am familiar with this route I can add a bit of a charge possibly Save mode.

ChrisMiller said:
I don't tow, so feel free to disregard my 2p-worth :), but I don't think you'll go far wrong letting the car do its own thing. The only time you really need to use Charge mode is if you've got a severe climb ahead (we're talking Alpine passes, here), that you need to start with reasonably full charge, to avoid the car dropping into 'tortoise' mode.

It's true that by manipulating the braking levels and playing with Save/Charge you can squeeze out a few percent better fuel economy, but not everyone wants the bother.

I thought I would try the Outlander out without towing the caravan on the M6 Toll Road, I ran the battery down prior to using the M6 Toll to about 50% hit the save the engine mildly kicked in and charged the battery up to 20 miles and switched between engine and electric modes (all very strange and new to me all this technology), The speed limiter set at 55 mph and in D .

When I travel down the M6 Toll Road next month with the caravan in tow i will probably use D or B0 along the level and uphill and use B5 going downhill for maximum generation.

oscarmax said:
I thought I would try the Outlander out without towing the caravan on the M6 Toll Road, I ran the battery down prior to using the M6 Toll to about 50% hit the save the engine mildly kicked in and charged the battery up to 20 miles and switched between engine and electric modes (all very strange and new to me all this technology), The speed limiter set at 55 mph and in D .

When I travel down the M6 Toll Road next month with the caravan in tow i will probably use D or B0 along the level and uphill and use B5 going downhill for maximum generation.

Just one word of caution, be careful about using the regenerative braking on a long descent.

Once the battery is fully charged the regenerative braking suddenly turns off.

Similarly, it doesn't work immediately if you start out with a full charge.

These things can be quite disconcerting if you haven't experienced them before.

oscarmax said:
I am new to all this we only picked our PHEV a couple of days ago, it such a steep learning curve.

In a couple of weeks we are going to tow our caravan, however, all the towing information is about the older 2.0 model, the 2.4 user manual make no mention of switching to Charge mode for towing ?

Do I just let the PHEV sort it self out, I am only used to towing with diesels.
There is not much difference in actual use between the older models and the new one. For serious mountains: Just make sure that you arrive at the beginning of the climb with as full a battery as possible and keep the car on "charge" all the time. Use B 5 downhill to simulate compression braking when going downhill. It is not much different from braking by foot regarding regenerating, just more convenient. It won't go very far in replenishing the battery, though. You will still need to charge up for the next climb.
Disregard the "guessometer". I once ended up with a half-full battery and an expected range of 98 km at the end of a long descent. No need to say that the battery was close to zero after ten km uphill...

oscarmax said:
ChrisMiller said:

Save will add virtually nothing to the range, so you must have used Charge instead.

When you press Charge, the ICE will run continuously. I'm not sure exactly at which battery percentage it stops, but anyway it's not worth using Charge it if the battery is nearly full. As mentioned above, the battery charges much more slowly (from regen or ICE) when it's nearly full, so it's pointless doing so.

When the battery is showing empty or you press Save, the PHEV will run the ICE until it adds roughly one mile of range. Then it will switch to running purely on EV till the range drops to the previous. level. Once there, it goes through the whole loop ('hysteresis loop') again and again till something changes.

When the battery shows empty on the dash, the battery is actually around 30%: it leaves the buffer for heavy loads so that the battery and the ICE can work together. If you tow uphill at speed, the battery level can drop below 30%, when it could start complaining and displaying the dreaded 'turtle' icon. Sometimes even using Save cannot maintain the battery level, so that's why some people suggest using Charge while towing.

ThudnBlundr said:
oscarmax said:
ChrisMiller said:

Save will add virtually nothing to the range, so you must have used Charge instead.

When you press Charge, the ICE will run continuously. I'm not sure exactly at which battery percentage it stops, but anyway it's not worth using Charge it if the battery is nearly full. As mentioned above, the battery charges much more slowly (from regen or ICE) when it's nearly full, so it's pointless doing so.

When the battery is showing empty or you press Save, the PHEV will run the ICE until it adds roughly one mile of range. Then it will switch to running purely on EV till the range drops to the previous. level. Once there, it goes through the whole loop ('hysteresis loop') again and again till something changes.

When the battery shows empty on the dash, the battery is actually around 30%: it leaves the buffer for heavy loads so that the battery and the ICE can work together. If you tow uphill at speed, the battery level can drop below 30%, when it could start complaining and displaying the dreaded 'turtle' icon. Sometimes even using Save cannot maintain the battery level, so that's why some people suggest using Charge while towing.

I am going to follow your advice and will report back my finding :D

Someone with more experience than me will need to report on how regenerative braking on the vehicle interacts with secondary electric braking systems for caravans.

Newer models light the brake lights for higher 'B' levels, but mine does not.

I'm towing a 1.000kg Caravan with the 2019 Model 2.4.

Never had any issues. I start in my village in EV and then switch to SAVE, if I just drive on the same sea level.
If I go thru the Alps, I switch to CHARGE instead SAVE.

The goal is, to have always around 50% SOC, which is not possible going from Germany to Italy or Croatia, because of the Alps.
The car is not able to generate enough power to keep the battery at a certain SOC.
So regenerative breaking is a must and needed, therefore I drive only in B5.

Let's take an example: going for Munich to Lake Garda in Italy, I have to cross the "Brenner", which is 1.400m high.
I end up on top with mostly empty Battery (have seen the turtle once). The going all the way down, B5 and CHARGE give me back up to 80% SOC.

When I arrive at the camping spot, I can drive in EV mode.

Well I have just got back from my holiday and have followed the advice you have all given, we have the new 2.4 PHEV and tow a Swift Conqueror 480 1500 kg. The journey was 178.5 miles each way.

On the way down I allowed the battery to deplete to just 5 miles before hitting the charge button, we were surprised we towed 14 miles with 5 miles left, anyway once on we reached the M6 toll Road we hit the charge button, no problems until we hit the payment booths went to pull away up the hill revving engine, press the EV button till up to speed solved that, then charge button, when in towns or at roundabouts junction I used the EV mode, we achieved measure brim to brim 26.7 mpg however as we had heard horror stories of horrendous fuel consumption we had set the speed limiter to 50 mph.

Just came back today with a lot more confidence we found the PHEV towed better at 55 mph as opposed to 50 mph? anyway we towed back at 55 mph and achieved brim to brim 27.3 mpg.

We are absolutely delighted with the Outlander PHEV 2.4, however we did meet 2 Outlander PHEV caravaners with the 2 litre models both were company cars, they had never used the charge button, both were disappointed with the way the Outlander PHEV towed.

Anyway thankyou for your advice

I have found that there is no point in faffing around with odd settings, just get in and drive.
I have a 1490kg caravan and have towed a few times, on local roads I get about 23pmg and on motorways, where I can set a steady speed with the HGV's she does about 27mpg. I get into the car, press the power button, select 'D' then regen , then the stop hold button and just drive. Let the car do it's thing.

Artleknock said:
I have found that there is no point in faffing around with odd settings, just get in and drive.
I have a 1490kg caravan and have towed a few times, on local roads I get about 23pmg and on motorways, where I can set a steady speed with the HGV's she does about 27mpg. I get into the car, press the power button, select 'D' then regen , then the stop hold button and just drive. Let the car do it's thing.

Glad to see you ae getting similar fuel consumption 27mpg and it nice to know the PHEV is capable of towing well using the factory settings.

Though I have a 2018, I don't think it's much different with the 2020.
In Charge mode the generator will charge till 80% and then turn of.
And will turn on again after a 2km range drop. Thus it will try to keep the charge at 80%.
With a 2200 lbs trailer starting at full change and putting in charge mode from the start. I can leave town in full EV (2.9km) before the generator kicks in. When I reach my destination 320 km later charge has dropped to around 50%. As the charge mode will not be able to keep it topped up. Last 90 km is hilly though and before that 110 km/h on the highway.
It's still enough to get in EV mode on the campground :D
(use the granny charger on 8 Amp to recharge overnight.)
(btw: used 11 L/100km or 25.8 mpg(UK))

IMMV.

Depending on the trailer weight, I would say give it a try in Save mode and see if it can keep it around the 75%?
At 75% you still have full Regen braking. (It's less the more you're above 80%)
When you see it dropping below 60%, switch to Charge mode.

Phevy said:
Though I have a 2018, I don't think it's much different with the 2020.
In Charge mode the generator will charge till 80% and then turn of.
And will turn on again after a 2km range drop. Thus it will try to keep the charge at 80%.
With a 2200 lbs trailer starting at full change and putting in charge mode from the start. I can leave town in full EV (2.9km) before the generator kicks in. When I reach my destination 320 km later charge has dropped to around 50%. As the charge mode will not be able to keep it topped up. Last 90 km is hilly though and before that 110 km/h on the highway.
It's still enough to get in EV mode on the campground :D
(use the granny charger on 8 Amp to recharge overnight.)
(btw: used 11 L/100km or 25.8 mpg(UK))

IMMV.

Depending on the trailer weight, I would say give it a try in Save mode and see if it can keep it around the 75%?
At 75% you still have full Regen braking. (It's less the more you're above 80%)
When you see it dropping below 60%, switch to Charge mode.

Hi Phevy, our trailer is 1500 kg (3300ibs) I can travel about 14 miles (21kM) before I hit the motorway on EV mode and still have 5 miles (7.5kM) in reserve. On the motorway i hit the charge button with the 5 miles in reserve, on the motorway my reserve on increases to 8 miles there is little spare energy left. The wife watches the screen display and informs me the battery kicks in the the rear wheels on steep hills.

On the way back I used charge at the 50% mark giving me a better reserve, overall fuel consumption stayed the same.

I'm in Canada and both my home town and destinations are hilly. So I want to keep as much charge as possible. I will not let it go below 50% if I can help it. On the highways here it will hardly add charge even in charge mode.
I'm not concerned with the fuel economy while towing. (Still way better off than my previous TV at 10 L/100km vs 18 L/100km) I only tow less than 10 trips per year. So I put it in charge mode while towing and let the car do it's thing. Only use EV mode at rest stop and destination.

oscarmax said:
Well I have just got back from my holiday and have followed the advice you have all given, we have the new 2.4 PHEV and tow a Swift Conqueror 480 1500 kg. The journey was 178.5 miles each way.

On the way down I allowed the battery to deplete to just 5 miles before hitting the charge button, we were surprised we towed 14 miles with 5 miles left, anyway once on we reached the M6 toll Road we hit the charge button, no problems until we hit the payment booths went to pull away up the hill revving engine, press the EV button till up to speed solved that, then charge button, when in towns or at roundabouts junction I used the EV mode, we achieved measure brim to brim 26.7 mpg however as we had heard horror stories of horrendous fuel consumption we had set the speed limiter to 50 mph.

Just came back today with a lot more confidence we found the PHEV towed better at 55 mph as opposed to 50 mph? anyway we towed back at 55 mph and achieved brim to brim 27.3 mpg.

We are absolutely delighted with the Outlander PHEV 2.4, however we did meet 2 Outlander PHEV caravaners with the 2 litre models both were company cars, they had never used the charge button, both were disappointed with the way the Outlander PHEV towed.

Anyway thankyou for your advice
Back from holiday same journey on the way down managed to squeeze 28.3mpg brim to brim, charge mode/B5 178 miles towing 1500kg caravan, however on the way back this morning had to use the heater dropped consumption down to 26.5 mpg, still not bad.

Back