Anyone seen this before?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hvaghela

Hi, this came up whilst driving back from work on sunday (28/6/20).
Has it come up on anyone else's PHEV before?

I think i've worked out how it came up. I'm a keyworker and since lockdown (UK in March), I've been using the battery only -to get to and from work. I can do this without using ICE. Since i've not gone anywhere else for 3 months I've never used ICE. Infact the last time I filled it with petrol was 27/3/20. I assume therefore the petrol in the tank was getting old, the car sensed it and wanted me to mix in new fuel.
Interestingly whilst I was driving home from work on sunday and back in on monday the car opted (automatically) to use petrol to charge the battery (I couldn't override it) - it got me up to 32 potential miles on the read out. On route to work today I filled up the tank which took a maximum of 15.2L and car started running on battery again.

I think i'm going to run the petrol tank low and not recharge the battey until then.

hvaghela" I think i'm going to run the petrol tank low and not recharge the battey until then.[/quote said:
Why? Surely it makes no difference to whether you burn petrol now or later in terms of cost (and to the environment) - apart from a marginal loss in performance due to carrying around the extra weight.

However, another 3 months takes you to the end of September. Are you really sure you won't want to travel further than EV range during that time? If you burn off the expensive petrol now instead of using cheap electricity, you might find you need to buy some petrol before the message reappears. :idea: Think of it as putting some money aside for a rainy day. :p

The idea being that you dont want stale old fuel in the tank or anywhere in your fuel system. 3 months is probably around the right time, as it will not stay good for much longer.

In EU or USA, the fuel is better, but here in Third world Australia, the fuel is nearly dead before it gets here, so it can be a concern

Back