Chrome trim replacement

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triwasaki

A careless delivery driver had taken a lump out of my front bumper 'chrome' trim (2015 gen 2).

The main dealers are saying I have to replace the whole bumper. I'm thinking surely not ...... anyone any experience of just replacing the trim? There seem to be some for sale on Ebay.

Can you attach a pic for reference? I know on later models the chrome trims that are part of the "dynamic shield" are certainly replaceable

I had a minor accident 3 yrs ago when some brake suddenly at round about ,same chrome was damaged slightly , insurance had to change all right have.

Hi. The same piece of chrome trim has been cracked on my 2018 model. Were you able to replace it and to do so did you have to disassemble the front grille and/or bumper or will it unclip separately? (I don't want to start trying to prise it off and snap clips).

the lower piece comes off with clips, the upper segment requires bumper removal if my memory serves me right

Thanks for your prompt feedback. On mine it's the trim piece that's shown on the pic attached by triwasaki earlier in the topic (which I think is the upper segment you describe in your reply), so it seems it's a bumper off job. I was hoping that taking off the grill and/or the lower wing piece (that holds the fog light) might provide access to any retaining screws.

I realise this thread is a bit old but I have similar problem with the chrome trim on my 2016 outlander PHEV.. in my case it is the lower of the 3 chrome trim segments which an earlier answer by DibbyDibbyDJ indicated to be clipped in position as opposed to needing access to retaining screws. If this is he case any advice on the best way to remove the lower chrome strip and replace with new chrome segment would be most welcome.

Hi
It's almost a year since I had mine apart so I can't remember all the details but I've been having another look to refresh my memory.
Removing the circular clips that secure the front end of the wheel arch plastic inner liner gives access behind the front bumper and then pulling out the foglight assembly gives yet more.
I was replacing the upper trim so I didn't focus on how the lower trim was fixed but doing the above should enable you to see what you need.

Thank you iang56 for this useful and prompt reply.
Being a bit of a novice regarding doing this kind of thing can I ask about the circular clips and how to remove them. I’ve had a look at mine and there is no obvious way of doing this. And do they reassemble easily?
Thanking you in advance…..

Hi again,
Sorry for the late response, but I've been away on holiday. If it's not too late for you, here's the answer to your question:
Just use a small flat bladed screwdriver or similar to prise forward the centre circular pin in each clip. This allows the clip to be extracted from the plastic arch liner. Refitting is just the reverse procedure.

Yes thanks. Weather has been great
Actually travelling home tomorrow (with our caravan behind the Outlander). 250miles so a long day 😀
Good luck with trim

Back