ThudnBlundr

Re: Tyres - winter and summer - or not. A review.

Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:11 am

I had winters on a previous car, and they were a revelation in the snow, but a PITA having to swap them over twie a year, especially if you don't buy extra wheels. While you may get money back on the wheels, secondhand tyres are almost worthless. Unless you happen to sell the car when both sets are heavily worn, you'll take a big hit on one set. So we went for all-weather tyres - while you may get better absolute performance from a set of winters, CCs have never failed to get us up the steep unploughed road with a sharp turn onto the longish shared drive to our house, which is why we have them. It means we don't have to walk the last 500m home!

Obviously I'm not saying one way is better than another for everyone, but CCs definitely work better for us. YMMV
2015 GX4hs since 03/18
2015 Renault Zoe R240 owner since 11/17

You may have speed, but I have momentum...Image

littlescrote

Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:47 am

The real cost of tyres is when you crash because you can't stop when you have the wrong ones. For that reason alone, I'll stick with proper winters, thanks.

EssexBoy

Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:36 pm

"...secondhand tyres are almost worthless."
In my pauper days I only bought second hand tyres and on an appropriate vehicle (any ICE with a high tax band) I would now.

I got 30K miles out of the Toyos on my extra set of wheels.

Top tip for owners in the UK who get a "...nail in the edge of the tread, so was irreparable" -which all the usual suspects tell you cannot be repaired is make a visit to Ledbury in the West Dimlands if you are passing. Here be an Olde Worlde tyre repairist who can and will do a proper (legal) job on those pesky repairs (pm for details) [caveat: not all repairs declined by Kwik Cash can be repaired anywhere], [caveat2: there are other tyre places that can fix a tyre - I just do know where they are ].

I might get some all-seasons (perhaps two) for the other car as I have to get up before the sparrows a few times a year and drive my SO to work but being a rear wheel drive auto that car might be better off left on the drive (or just reversed to work like I told her) - what do we think? :evil:

greendwarf

Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:53 pm

Having only used my Winters once in anger to get me off a snow bound French motorway which was jammed with stranded locals, I would never want to use anything else at this time of year. Frankly having paid almost £30k for a car, a few hundred extra for additional wheels & tyres is neither here nor there. I realise for second hand buyers on a budget the figures are more difficult, so I hope they steer clear of me (literally) :lol:

littlescrote

Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:01 am

greendwarf wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:53 pm
Having only used my Winters once in anger to get me off a snow bound French motorway which was jammed with stranded locals, I would never want to use anything else at this time of year. Frankly having paid almost £30k for a car, a few hundred extra for additional wheels & tyres is neither here nor there. I realise for second hand buyers on a budget the figures are more difficult, so I hope they steer clear of me (literally) :lol:
Totally agree, but even having spent say £10k on a used car, I'd rather not risk that value plus potential injury from not having winter tyres on in winter for the sake of a few hundred quid. As stated already on this thread, you're not wearing out your summer tyres when you have your winter ones on and vice versa, so really the additional cost is only for the winter rims which will be cheaper alloys or steel wheels rather than OE alloys anyway.

ChrisMiller

Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:39 am

Obviously, if you're planning to drive in Scandinavia or over Alpine passes during winter, proper winter tyres are a must (and legally required, too). But for those, like me, in the south of England (say), who see snow once every five years, they're overkill. I just need something that will get me 200 yards up the 15% hill I live on, to the main road, which will be gritted and snow-free. In unexpected snowfalls that occur while you're away from home, tyres are almost irrelevant, as the roads are soon blocked by all the idiots who have no idea how to cope.
GX4h (2016) since 23/12/2015

mellobob

Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:13 pm

Someone mentioned braking ... my experience is that braking is unaffected by snow/allseason/summer tires. You slide no matter what.

However, going uphill ... there is a huge difference.

I also think there is better grip with winters when you hit slush at high speed. Without winter tires I have a greater problem staying in my lane.
Last edited by mellobob on Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

greendwarf

Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:17 pm

Although the on-line videos clearly show shorter stopping on winters, it is with control that they real score - you can actually turn whilst sliding. But also the extra grip kicks in at around 7c. The criteria is temp and wet not snow & ice.

Return to “General / Main Outlander PHEV Owners Forum”