Tethered Type 2 charging

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theo

Hello all,

I recently pulled the trigger on a MY2017 , which I am expecting to arrive in September from Germany.

So I'm preparing all the extras (Dog guard, boot liner, etc), but I have a few questions regarding the charge cable I need.

I understand that I will have to get a type 1 to type 2 cable, as Mennekes is the standard in Greece. I have noticed, however, that quite a few (or even most) of the charging stations have tethered cables. I've seen that there are also 1 to 2 adapters (some with a cable and some without)

So my question is, will I be able to use a standard 1 to 2 cable on a tethered charging station? Or will I have to use the adapter?

Theo

You can buy adaptors, but they're not very safe as they manage to bypass some of the safety protocols.

Do you plan to use the type 2 chargers for regular charging, or just while you're on a trip? If the latter, you need to consider if charging at 3.6kW is worth it. It will only give you 10 miles of EV range per hour. It's quicker (and easier) to use a Chademo DC charger which will charge to 80% capacity in 20-25 minutes

Unfortunately, there aren't many Chademo in Greece (only one in my city of 1.2 million!). This will change, but not that fast (Greek time works a little differently than other countries)

Most of my charging will be done equally at home (standard eu plug) and at work (the gas station 100m from my office has a type 2 tethered station, free).

Of course when I'm out of town I would like to be able to connect to a station that only has a plug, or a residential setup.

I'm just wondering if I will need to have 3 cables (10A eu plug/1 to 2 cable/1 to 2 adapter) or if the standard 1 to 2 cable will work (and be safe) on a tethered station.

When I say 1 to 2 adapter, I mean something like this:

s-l1600.jpg

I've not tried this but it looks like the connectors on normal type 2 cables are deliberately designed so that the cables cannot be connected in series, so it looks like you will need the separate adapter if you want to connect to a wired type 2 EVSE. See https://forums.aeva.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=62&p=74062

Back