Gurgling/rustling noise from AC system

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublezingers

Hi,

Sorry if this topic has been posted before - I did a quick search but couldn't find anything.

I picked up a 2014 PHEV aspire recently (80k km on it when I got it).

After owning it for a few days I started to notice that there is an audible sound from the AC when it is on - only quiet enough to hear when the car is still (or when cruising on EV!). With the fan only on the noise is not present, it's only when AC is also on.

I would characterise it as a rustling or gurgling sound, or possibly a hissing/squealing sound (like a fluid being forced through a small aperture).

Is this noise familiar to others and is it anything to be worried about?

I can take a video recording and upload it if that makes it any easier to identify.

Cheers!

Sorry, I have the same model, but can't say that I've noticed any noise from the aircon...

I'm just about to head out, so I'll turn on the air-con in the driveway and pay attention.

However, my split systems at home, definitely make fluid noises from time to time when they start up.

Sounds roughly like someone turning on a tap somewhere in the house and water running through the pipes...

OK. Returned to report.

With the car in the driveway, radio off, engine off, turned on the air conditioning and heard
(hopefully I've remembered this in order)

1. the sound of the compressor slowly spooling up, under the bonnet, sounds vaguely like a turbine noise.
(a constant sound but slowly increasing in pitch)
2. a whistling gurgle inside the car, like a person blowing over the end of a small tube, with a liquidy tone to it.
3. the fans turning on in the car.

The whistle/gurgle only lasted for about 3 seconds, and is very similar to what I hear from the air cons in my house.

At least that gives you something else to compare with.

Normally I wouldn't hear this, because I always have the radio on. Hence had to start by turning the radio off.

:lol:

perfectly normal. it's the sound of the expansion of the refrigerant from liquid to vapour.

12 years working as a test engineer in the wind tunnel and NVH chamber for a tier 1 automotive air conditioning supplier (Sanden), so fully qualified to answer.

Back