Best overnight charge

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fjpod

I have my new 2020 Outlander Phev about 10 days now. It has the 13.6 kW battery. I generally charge it overnight. The first night I put on a full charge, I had 33 EV miles on the dash when I turned it on, next day 36, next day 40. This morning, it was 44 EV miles on tap.

Would like to hear from anyone else.

Our was the same then it would erratically switch from miles to km, some time I would have to reset the screen units, dealer carried out an update it now stay in miles and varies between 33 -36 miles.

Fjpod said:
I have my new 2020 Outlander Phev about 10 days now. It has the 13.6 kW battery. I generally charge it overnight. The first night I put on a full charge, I had 33 EV miles on the dash when I turned it on, next day 36, next day 40. This morning, it was 44 EV miles on tap.

Would like to hear from anyone else.

I found the displayed readings quickly quickly go down to 28 miles, at first I started to get a bit disappointed, but I found the regenerative braking after the battery depletes down to around 50% recharges the batteries quite efficiently, I tend to use B5, overall I am getting between 32 -35 miles on EV this time of the year, I also archived over 14 miles with 5 miles in reserve towing a 1500kg caravan.

Just because the Guess-o-Meter says your range is 20km or 44km, it has little bearing on reality as it bases its guess on how you've been driving recently. The only way to ascertain what EV range you actually have is to zero the trip and see when the ICE actually kicks in. And of course that will vary depending on how you drive. Stick it on a motorway at high speed and you'll get nowhere near that range. You could argue that the GOM reading is close to meaningless unless you drive the same route every day.

I am going to second that with that, going to see our grandson 50% of the 36 mile journey is motorway, travelling at 60mph along the motorway our EV range drop s a little to around 29-30 miles, about 6 -7 miles before leaving our motorway junction I use the charge button. Fortunately I can charge up at the daughter with a full charge for the return journey.

Yes, I have found the top 5 miles of a full charge goes down quickly. This seems opposite my experience with the iMiev. I realize all gauges can be approximate, but After a full charge on the iMiev, i would get 7 miles on the first pip and only 4 after that.

I tend to ignore the guess meter, and assume the range (whilst the batteries are new) to be 28 miles, anything you gain from the regenerative system is a bonus.

The range meter is often referred to as a 'Guessometer' because of its inaccuracy.
Part of its calculation includes whether you have the heating or air/con on, which makes a big difference and varies according to the weather. You can learn a lot about driving conditions and their effect on range from this meter, but I wouldn't get drawn into not using air/con etc for the sake of a few extra EV miles.
The range often drops in the first few yards as it reassesses everything. The length of my drive is not long but I'm sometimes lead to believe I live in a stately home with several miles to the front gate. If only...

oscarmax said:
I am going to second that with that, going to see our grandson 50% of the 36 mile journey is motorway, travelling at 60mph along the motorway our EV range drop s a little to around 29-30 miles, about 6 -7 miles before leaving our motorway junction I use the charge button. Fortunately I can charge up at the daughter with a full charge for the return journey.

You would probably get better overall efficiency by using Save for the motorway portion when the ICE will be more efficient in series mode, leaving just enough battery for the off motorway bit until you plug in again.

Back