New owner wondering about eco mode

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 5363

Hello all
Lurking here for a bit helped persuade me to buy a 2014 PHEV GHX3 Outlander last week and so far I'm loving it.
I drove my Kia Karens into the ground and was worried I'd miss the 2L turbo diesel power but have been pleasantly surprised :D
Did a 400 mile round trip to Malvern camping with 4 passengers and a fully loaded boot + roofbox but had no problem cruising at 80mph or over taking when necessary.
Most of the time I'll be doing 15m commutes, so hoping I can manage as in EV mode, but it's great to have the option of long range and plenty of storage for occasional longer trip camping or lugging kids stuff to uni.
I miss driving a manual but the brake paddles and playing around with charge, save and eco are helping to keep me engaged :D
I understand that charge is useful before climbs and when on the motorway, and save is good for keeping electric power for the town driving after the motorway. Eco mode seems to make the car a bit less responsive/more sluggish but still acceptable [and way better than the brand new Dacia Logan MCV I test drove :lol: ]. I assume it's saving me battery/fuel, but would like to know how it does that?
I'd also appreciate putting me straight if I'm wrong on the charge/save functions.
Cheers

ECO Mode feels more sluggish as all it does is remap the accelerator pedal to be more sensitive so you are less likely to press it so far and so rapidly.

It can also be setup to reduce the Air Conditioning power, but it's a user choice through the menu.

Apart from those 2 things, it does nothing else to save you battery/fuel.

You should also be aware of how it affects the heating system in cold weather if you have an electric heater - but I'm not sure that your MY and trim level does. Read all about it on the UK PHEV FB page (rather than repeat it here....)

In the US, my 2020 manual states.... Eco mode reduces the AC power (and boy, I can feel it), and it increases the amount of pressure you need to exert on the accelerator to get the car going, (thusly reducing Jack-rabbit starts).

Back