How to siphon fuel from 2015 PHEV

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuppar

Have tried using a 1 metre long hose into a full tank but all I ever get is air - no fuel. My guess is there is a secondary pipe leading to the fuel tank that the siphon hose keeps missing. Anyone know of a workaround for this or the method used by roadside repairs when a vehicle has been misfueled?

I'm not trying to siphon old fuel but new fuel to mix with fuel preservative for other purposes - principally a backup generator. And I don't need a full tank when almost all my driving is EV!

Filled the PHEV up at the start of Lock Down here in anticipation of fuel shortages, which didn't happen.

3 months later I got the warning message on the dash indicating the fuel may be stale.

Tried to find how to drain the tank

Tried siphoning

Decided there was a anti-siphon grid in the filler pipe.

Most cars in the last 20 years or so have anti-siphoning devices in place. So the other way to do it would be to disconnect the fuel hose at the engine end (or under the car if there's a suitable connector), then attempt to start the engine - which will cause the in-tank pump to pump the fuel out (under pressure, so be careful).

What most of us who have had full tanks when the 3 month 'engine started to preserve fuel system' kicks in have done is just accept that you're going to be using petrol to power the car for a bit. After all, it is a PHEV not a BEV and you are expected to be running it on petrol some of the time. Treat yourself to a drive to the beach or countryside maybe to consume it a bit quicker maybe.

I had to have the tank drained once as I filled the wrong kind of fuel (High - Bio Alcohol) The roadside service disconnected the fuel line under the bonnet and used it to pump the tank dry.

Back