Outlander Phev

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craigs

:D good morning guys, I'm new to all this, I'm thinking of getting the phev outlander and just wondered a few things.
Is it good on fuel? I know the elec range is 28miles but what about when it's switching between the two? Also are they good for long journeys? I'm also looking to get a touring caravan won't be a big one but I know they can tow up to 1500kg but I have always been under the impression diesel is best for towing. Do these cost alot to run as a tow vehicle. I currently have a citroën c4 picasso 1.6 diesel, on the brochures etc it's supposed to be better mpg than my surrent car, the electric range would be suitable for the everyday commute for us for school runs etc. Thanks in advance.

We tow a 1500kg caravan with our 2020 PHEV no problem fuel consumption varies between 26.5 to 28.5mpg depended on weather and terrain, I let the battery run down to 50% then use the charge mode, other use save or just let the system sort it out.

Simple answer - NO! It is the wrong shape and has to carry the extra dead weight of the battery when running the ICE.

I get about 35mpg on normal non-electric journeys dropping to 27 when high speed motorway cruising - caravan users report slightly worse figures when towing (see numerous other threads).

HOWEVER if most of your mileage is EV, then the savings you make outweigh the occasional petrol journey - so it depends on your personal mix overall.

PLUS other savings if you live/drive in London (zero Congestion Charge etc) and the benefits of a quieter more relaxed drive with better acceleration and handling than your Picasso? :mrgreen:

greendwarf said:
Simple answer - NO! It is the wrong shape and has to carry the extra dead weight of the battery when running the ICE.

I get about 35mpg on normal non-electric journeys dropping to 27 when high speed motorway cruising - caravan users report slightly worse figures when towing (see numerous other threads).

HOWEVER if most of your mileage is EV, then the savings you make outweigh the occasional petrol journey - so it depends on your personal mix overall.

PLUS other savings if you live/drive in London (zero Congestion Charge etc) and the benefits of a quieter more relaxed drive with better acceleration and handling than your Picasso? :mrgreen:

The caravaners we meet on site with the 2.0 version report around 21-22 mpg towing 1500kg

Thanks for the replies. We have been and had a look at them and like the size etc. See my partner is disabled so don't really go out much, our typical week is school run twice a day (4miles) each way. I also regularly check on my elderly grandparents about the same distance. I go to the local supermarkets once a week maybe twice again about same Distance. So the electric range would be enough for that. I'm just worried about getting one and it being a massive increase in fuel costs. I know I would save per week as electric as currently put £40 diesel in pw just for the above journeys. My lad does go to cadets twice a week about 8 miles each way also. We would be towing a small caravan so would imagine it wouldnt be anywhere near the 1500kg limit. We would ideally like to be going away for a few days regularly (varied distances as not really planned anywhere yet). The london travel part isn't really something that benefits us at the moment but not saying it wouldn't in the future. I just read online it has a combined 38mpg would you say that's correct? What's the mpg if was in just petrol? Would you recommend this for a low income family or would the towing and motorway travel etc mean I would be worse off than a diesel.? By the way Thanks everyone for your help

Craigs said:
Thanks for the replies. We have been and had a look at them and like the size etc. See my partner is disabled so don't really go out much, our typical week is school run twice a day (4miles) each way. I also regularly check on my elderly grandparents about the same distance. I go to the local supermarkets once a week maybe twice again about same Distance. So the electric range would be enough for that. I'm just worried about getting one and it being a massive increase in fuel costs. I know I would save per week as electric as currently put £40 diesel in pw just for the above journeys. My lad does go to cadets twice a week about 8 miles each way also. We would be towing a small caravan so would imagine it wouldnt be anywhere near the 1500kg limit. We would ideally like to be going away for a few days regularly (varied distances as not really planned anywhere yet). The london travel part isn't really something that benefits us at the moment but not saying it wouldn't in the future. I just read online it has a combined 38mpg would you say that's correct? What's the mpg if was in just petrol? Would you recommend this for a low income family or would the towing and motorway travel etc mean I would be worse off than a diesel.? By the way Thanks everyone for your help

https://www.greencarguide.co.uk/car-reviews-and-road-tests/mitsubishi-outlander-phev-4wd-2019-review/

https://www.greencarguide.co.uk/car-reviews-and-road-tests/mitsubishi-outlander-phev-4wd-2019-review/
[/quote]

Thanks for your link. See I read it has the Fuel economy combined (NEDC): 159.5 mpg NEDC / 139 mpg WLTP elsewhere but then see posted places it only does 38mpg etc and get rather confused with the mpg etc. It's all rather confusing. Also the boot space we will be getting a vehicle on the motabilty scheme which is for disabled people for those that don't know, on there website it states 886litres, but in the link it says 463litres, which is correct? Also do anyone of you have an example for me to compare as the mpg etc I get confused by, I travel 205miles to our regular holiday destination once a year currently and obviously would be doing more travel when we get the caravan. We'll for the 205 journey I fill my picasso and it lasts there travel around for the week (short journeys) and back at about £60 diesel maybe abit more depending fuel price. Do you have an estimate the trip cost in the phev (obviously I know its not 100% accurate but just to give me an idea. Most of the trip is either motorway or a roads. Sorry to be a pain but thought its best to ask the people who have experience. Thanks

[/quote]

Thanks for your link. See I read it has the Fuel economy combined (NEDC): 159.5 mpg NEDC / 139 mpg WLTP elsewhere but then see posted places it only does 38mpg etc and get rather confused with the mpg etc. It's all rather confusing. Also the boot space we will be getting a vehicle on the motabilty scheme which is for disabled people for those that don't know, on there website it states 886litres, but in the link it says 463litres, which is correct? Also do anyone of you have an example for me to compare as the mpg etc I get confused by, I travel 205miles to our regular holiday destination once a year currently and obviously would be doing more travel when we get the caravan. We'll for the 205 journey I fill my picasso and it lasts there travel around for the week (short journeys) and back at about £60 diesel maybe abit more depending fuel price. Do you have an estimate the trip cost in the phev (obviously I know its not 100% accurate but just to give me an idea. Most of the trip is either motorway or a roads. Sorry to be a pain but thought its best to ask the people who have experience. Thanks

Craigs said:

[/quote]

Craig I can fit my mobility scooter, my walker and holiday equipment in the boot, it as spacious as our Honda CRV, regarding the Motability scheme the Outlander PHEV attracts AP of £3749, as from the 1st October the Outlander PHEV and the other suitable alterative Skoda Superb PHEV is being dropped from the scheme.

Hi Craigs - for my tuppence worth, I don't have a caravan or tow anything but I was covering in an office 60 miles away which entailed an hour's commute (most of it on the motorway and the city bypass, so travelling 60 - 70mph) for 3 months.

Unsure of what mpg I was getting but my tank would last 3 return trips (with still enough for maybe a one way trip, but I never chanced it!), including charging the battery up overnight so it was full at the start of the journey, but not on the return.

However, then I moved to an office much closer to home and I was able to go to and from work on electric only - this time, I managed to clock up over 1000 (one thousand!) miles without ever having to put a drop in the fuel tank! Obviously, I charged up the battery overnight, so I had a full battery at the start of the day which lasted for everything I did.

So, as some of the others have said, whether the Outlander PHEV is right for you will depend on how many journeys you do with a 14 miles-ish radius (obviously, you can also rapid charge when out and about) and how many longer journeys you anticipate - even when the battery indicates it's empty, there's still a reserve left and there's also the regenerative charging which also gives the mpg a slight lift.

If you can charge up your Outlander at your campsite and, judging by the 'local' journeys you seem to do, unless you tow your caravan every month I think the Outlander will work out for you.

I pay zero Road Tax, Insurance is about the same as my old car (2.0L diesel X-Trail) and, aside from the 3 months I was working away, I only really put fuel in after I remember the warning in the owner's manual about stale fuel in the car and I use the car for a longer trip so the engine fires up (roughly, every 3 months - 15L or £17-20). However, due to charging at home, my electricity bill has increased by roughly £20 per month.

For me, the Outlander works and has saved me a lot in fuel costs and has only 'broke down' on me once when a faulty public charger and my ham fists caused the car to refuse to start and I had to take it to a local dealer who charged me £100 (and 2 hours of my life!) to reset the system.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Bloggsy

Thank you both for your reply, sorry to be the pain but always got confused with the facts :D I appreciate your help i really do and thank for taking the time to help take care :)

Back