charging at public charge points, what cable do i need?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daz7505

recently picked up a 16 plate phev, and it came with the standard house charger cable.
I want to be able to charge at public charge points, such as tesco supermarket, motorway service stations etc.
What lead do i need to buy? links would be usefull, thanks.

Do you really want spend over £100 for a lead to be able to charge at Tesco or MSA at 3.6kW? That will give you an extra range of around 7 miles per hour, which is barely worth the wait. We have a cable to charge at home, but that's as we already have a chargepoint for our ZOE and the plug on the granny charger was getting warm in the summer. Charging at those posts at 7mph might also annoy BEV drivers who really need to charge, when they could get 40-80mph charging depending on the chargepoint

Far better to use Chademo chargers at MSAs and other places; Lidl and Ikea have them. They always come with a heavy-duty cable wired to the charger. That gives you 80% charge (~6kWh) in around 20 minutes and are fine for occasional use. Even at 30p/kWh they're still cheaper than petrol - we use them on a long journey when we're stopping for a coffee anyway. You wouldn't want to stop specially just to charge...

I bought a Type 1 to Type 2 cable so I could charge for free at the local swimming pool.

The Type 1 end goes in the car, the other end in the EVSE.

If you can readily charge for free then worth it in the long run.

Just for fun I once did a ChaDeMo charge at IKEA, but that's the limit of my Chargepoint experience..

On the 240 mile journey to my grandkids we do stop once for a comfort break at a Motorway Services, but have never wasted time charging.

That's why we bought a PHEV.

I brought a brand new EV 32 amp complete with bag used one on eBay in November for £75.00. The owner just never got around to opening and using it. I have plugged into our local Tesco just to test it, since then it has stayed in the bag unused.

michael8554 said:
I bought a Type 1 to Type 2 cable so I could charge for free at the local swimming pool.

The Type 1 end goes in the car, the other end in the EVSE.

If you can readily charge for free then worth it in the long run.

Just for fun I once did a ChaDeMo charge at IKEA, but that's the limit of my Chargepoint experience..

On the 240 mile journey to my grandkids we do stop once for a comfort break at a Motorway Services, but have never wasted time charging.

That's why we bought a PHEV.

Thank you

Back