A fifteen hundred kilometer drive in a 2014 XLS PHEV

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arinbasu

Just completed a 1500 kilometer drive through the Northern end of the South Island of New Zealand, steep and twisty highways, rural gravel roads and rough windy road conditions. Had to fill the tank only once, :). Must say that outlander PHEV is quite an unbelievable machine really, unlike any ICE car I have ever driven.
Plugged in two nights out of five from motel and hotel power supply; one time the car complained about the EV battery but it got charged all the same. Charged it mostly on the road from engine on the run by pressing "charge" on steep climbs and over short distances when the battery distance showed ---. The only 'gripe', if I may, was that, I had to drive slower (@90 km/hr on 100 km/hr stretches), but other than that, the drive was like a dream. As a matter of fact, the car is so quiet I nearly ran into another vehicle in a petrol station as the other driver did not realise a car was around the corner, :)
Loved the experience of driving PHEV.

Little bit hard to believe but close!
Let's say you started with full tank, full battery (50km) and charged fully twice (2x50km). 1500km - 3 x 50km.
So you have passed 1350km. with one more fill-up for total of 80L. of fuel. That's less than 6L/100km.

kpetrov said:
Little bit hard to believe but close!
Let's say you started with full tank, full battery (50km) and charged fully twice (2x50km). 1500km - 3 x 50km.
So you have passed 1350km. with one more fill-up for total of 80L. of fuel. That's less than 6L/100km.

47.08 UK mpg not bad

@kpetrov, Should have written I did start with full battery and a full tank, and drove annoyingly slowly on the highway. This was the first time I took out the car on a long trip, perhaps over time, this stats will most likely worsen. But happy as is.

Back