Replacement 12v battery

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AntsCar

I've only had my Outlander for a few months, is a 2017 with about 40,000 miles on the clock.
Today it was freezing, so I tried to switch on the heater using my mobile. WiFi wouldn't connect so I went out to the car to do it manually. Doors opened ok, but when I pressed the start button I got loads of error messages; the main one saying "ev system service required stop safely". A quick Google told me it was probably the 12v battery was flat. Breakdown service confirmed this ( said battery needed replacing) & gave me a jump start
Local garage said replacement would take over a week, Halfords website says they don't do my battery, Kwik-Fit had a 15% off deal using code BEKWIK, I got battery supplied and fitted for £81.30 (£70.55 bat, £1.75 disposal, £9 fitting)
No idea if it's a fair price, but thought I'd share with any other drivers in UK looking to replace the 12v

Hi AntsCar,
Sorry, no help, other than moral support - the exact same thing happened to me today, and sent me off to search the internet for solutions.

No wifi connection to defrost the car. Eventually I went out got in, and put the car on with the charger still on, and turned on front defrost and rear plus heated seats and stearing wheel. Plus front and rear wipers. Then nipped back inside for a while.

Came back out and car dead except wipers still going - and couldn't be turned off !

From you-tube I learned where the rear release is, climbed in, and then learned that you need to open the bonnet to check the battery !

3V so I felt a lot better that this was at least not some 'back to the service centre on a flatbed' type problem :)

Jump leads allowed the beast to wake up, and it seems OK except it had a 'charging system fault' code when I turned it back off again. For what its worth I've put it on to charge like an old fashioned ICE car (thought I'd left that sort of thing behind!)

Question to the forum:
From what I understand the 12V battery should be charged whilst its plugged in, so is it fair to assume that if it has gone flat anyway that it will need replacing ?

For those in the UK, Richi (maintainer of the FAQ) also maintains an Amazon shop with PHEV necessities, including batteries: https://www.amazon.co.uk/shop/richi

Richi said:
Any micro-kickbacks go to SWMBO's rescue charity (UK#1186687), at no cost to you. As an "Amazon Associate," we earn from qualifying purchases, which are applied to the charity work.

ThudnBlundr said:
<span>For those in the UK, Richi (maintainer of the FAQ) also maintains an <a href="http://www.amazon.com/?tag=myelecarfor-20" class="interlinkr" target="_blank">Amazon</a> shop with PHEV necessities, including batteries: https://www.amazon.co.uk/shop/richi</span>

<span>
Richi said:
Any micro-kickbacks go to SWMBO's rescue charity (UK#1186687), at no cost to you. As an "<a href="http://www.amazon.com/?tag=myelecarfor-20" class="interlinkr" target="_blank">Amazon</a> Associate," we earn from qualifying purchases, which are applied to the charity work.
</span>

Thanks - useful

Sadly at the moment the Yuasa battery is showing unavailable and no ETA

I've looked around a few other 'online battery retailers' and none list a unit for the PHEV. Now hoping the flat battery was a one-off and just charging the battery all day will be enough :?

Actaully just read the OP properly and seen that they have already got the battery replaced at Kwikfit - helps reading when not in 'broken car panic mode' !

ThudnBlundr said:
For those in the UK, Richi (maintainer of the FAQ) also maintains an Amazon shop with PHEV necessities, including batteries: https://www.amazon.co.uk/shop/richi

Thanks for the link. I'll use it to get some replacement wipers

slowrunner said:
Question to the forum:
From what I understand the 12V battery should be charged whilst its plugged in, so is it fair to assume that if it has gone flat anyway that it will need replacing ?

I don't think the 12v battery is charged when the car (drive battery) is plugged in. Instead it seems to charge like any normal ICE car, when the petrol engine is running.

The 12v battery is charged once a day from the drive battery but this is of no help once the battery is knackered. Lead acid batteries are notorious for limping on past their "sell by date" but a sudden drop in ambient temp (like we are experiencing in UK) will often push them over the edge. :cry:

I'd be extremely surprised if it didn't connect the DC-DC converter when it's charging, as the 12V battery runs all the software required for charging and it could be very damaging if it failed mid-charge.

As ever, the problem with 12V batteries in EVs is that they're not stressed. In an ICE, you can hear when the battery starts having problems starting the car in cold weather. But in the PHEV, it's main job is to run the software and connect the drive battery, so no major load. It can soldier on in poor condition and barely working until one day it doesn't work without warning - actually it usually produces loads of spurious warnings!

AntsCar said:
I don't think the 12v battery is charged when the car (drive battery) is plugged in. Instead it seems to charge like any normal ICE car, when the petrol engine is running.

Wrong. There is no 12V alternator on the ICE, it's only charged by DC-DC converter off the drive battery when in Ready mode, when charging and once a day at 2pm if the Wifi module is enabled.

Small caveat - the daily charging does not happen in base model Gx3h because it doesn't have wifi :lol:

I once managed to flatten the auxiliary battery on my PHEV which also resulted in the wipers going (when they weren't switched on) and absolutely nothing else working at all - not even the hazards. I've had similar experiences with the new Ford Kuga PHEV - the 12v battery goes flat within a few weeks if not used. On the Ford the rear lights sometimes flash rapidly and the stereo speakers can make a thumping noise. The Ford battery (located under the boot floor, similar to Mitsubishi) can be re-charged from connectons in the engine bay, although if the battery is flat you can't open the passenger door which in turn makes it very difficult to open the bonnet latch!

In the case of the Ford Kuga, if the 12v battery is so flat that it won't charge from a battery charger, it can be done by placing a jump pack on to the battery connections (in the engine bay) and then the charger on to the jump pack. However, I've only done this on new Kugas with new 12v batteries that have gone flat. Might not work on an old, flat battery. Also I'll have to say 'Disclaimer!' don't try this at home kids, as this procedure might not be suitable for a Mitsubishi, and might blow it up or set it on fire, or something.

littlescrote said:
AntsCar said:

Wrong. There is no 12V alternator on the ICE, it's only charged by DC-DC converter off the drive battery when in Ready mode, when charging and once a day at 2pm if the Wifi module is enabled.

Thanks, that's good to know 👍

Is the WiFi enabled all the time or only when the car is connected to the mains? I'm not always plugged in at 2pm

Hi All,

I have a 2016 Gx5h where I have never touched anything to do with the Wifi.

To clarify, will my phev automatically charge the 12v battery everyday at 2.00 or, must I configure something, somewhere to arrange for this to happen and if so, can somebody tell me what?

Many thanks

If you don't have a device registered to the WiFi module, it will go to sleep and not initiate the daily 14:00 Aux battery charging schedule.

That’s good to know antscar that kwik fit do the battery as we have the same issue. Phoned in to the dealer this morning and they said they would have to order it in and would cost around £250. Then give it an hour they ring back and say no it will cost around £650. Whooh! They said the battery has come to the end of its life at around 6 years. They have to reprogram certain things due to canbus. I think I’ll give kwikfit a call.

My 12V just died. Don't have a second car now, so tried charging it with a 6A charger, but wouldn't charge until I disconnected the battery (climbing into the back, unbolting the floor, etc). Charged a bit, but when I connected it up after 45 minutes charging, had less than a minute before it died again. Hunted online for a compatible replacement using the search: correct replacement 12v battery outlander phev. Found https://oriusbatteries.com/mitsubishi-outlander-battery-to-fit-2-0-hybrid-2012-compatible-part-bosch-s4-car-battery-12v-45ah-330cca-s4021-type-048.html. Described as:
"Mitsubishi Outlander battery to fit 2.0 Hybrid (2012-) compatible part Bosch S4 Car Battery 12V 45Ah 330CCA S4021 Type 048"
sold by https://oriusbatteries.com/ for £64:20 with free UK delivery (next day if ordered before 3pm, unfortunately I was too late for that). I'll post again in 2 days time to report if it was successful.

Don't think that is the correct battery. AFAIK the hybrid model is from 2013 onwards, 45ah sounds like an ordinary petrol car battery, there has never been reported here a replacement for ours from Bosch AND £64 is too cheap! :idea:

Back