AntsCar

Replacement 12v battery

Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:04 pm

I've only had my Outlander for a few months, is a 2017 with about 40,000 miles on the clock.
Today it was freezing, so I tried to switch on the heater using my mobile. WiFi wouldn't connect so I went out to the car to do it manually. Doors opened ok, but when I pressed the start button I got loads of error messages; the main one saying "ev system service required stop safely". A quick Google told me it was probably the 12v battery was flat. Breakdown service confirmed this ( said battery needed replacing) & gave me a jump start
Local garage said replacement would take over a week, Halfords website says they don't do my battery, Kwik-Fit had a 15% off deal using code BEKWIK, I got battery supplied and fitted for £81.30 (£70.55 bat, £1.75 disposal, £9 fitting)
No idea if it's a fair price, but thought I'd share with any other drivers in UK looking to replace the 12v

slowrunner

Re: Replacement 12v battery

Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:34 am

Hi AntsCar,
Sorry, no help, other than moral support - the exact same thing happened to me today, and sent me off to search the internet for solutions.

No wifi connection to defrost the car. Eventually I went out got in, and put the car on with the charger still on, and turned on front defrost and rear plus heated seats and stearing wheel. Plus front and rear wipers. Then nipped back inside for a while.

Came back out and car dead except wipers still going - and couldn't be turned off !

From you-tube I learned where the rear release is, climbed in, and then learned that you need to open the bonnet to check the battery !

3V so I felt a lot better that this was at least not some 'back to the service centre on a flatbed' type problem :)

Jump leads allowed the beast to wake up, and it seems OK except it had a 'charging system fault' code when I turned it back off again. For what its worth I've put it on to charge like an old fashioned ICE car (thought I'd left that sort of thing behind!)

Question to the forum:
From what I understand the 12V battery should be charged whilst its plugged in, so is it fair to assume that if it has gone flat anyway that it will need replacing ?

ThudnBlundr

Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:53 am

For those in the UK, Richi (maintainer of the FAQ) also maintains an Amazon shop with PHEV necessities, including batteries: https://www.amazon.co.uk/shop/richi
Richi wrote:Any micro-kickbacks go to SWMBO's rescue charity (UK#1186687), at no cost to you. As an "Amazon Associate," we earn from qualifying purchases, which are applied to the charity work.
2015 GX4hs since 03/18
2015 Renault Zoe R240 owner since 11/17

You may have speed, but I have momentum...Image

slowrunner

Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:59 am

ThudnBlundr wrote: <span>For those in the UK, Richi (maintainer of the FAQ) also maintains an <a href="http://www.amazon.com/?tag=myelecarfor-20" class="interlinkr" target="_blank">Amazon</a> shop with PHEV necessities, including batteries: https://www.amazon.co.uk/shop/richi</span>

<span>
Richi wrote:Any micro-kickbacks go to SWMBO's rescue charity (UK#1186687), at no cost to you. As an "<a href="http://www.amazon.com/?tag=myelecarfor-20" class="interlinkr" target="_blank">Amazon</a> Associate," we earn from qualifying purchases, which are applied to the charity work.
</span>
Thanks - useful

Sadly at the moment the Yuasa battery is showing unavailable and no ETA

I've looked around a few other 'online battery retailers' and none list a unit for the PHEV. Now hoping the flat battery was a one-off and just charging the battery all day will be enough :?

slowrunner

Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:02 am

Actaully just read the OP properly and seen that they have already got the battery replaced at Kwikfit - helps reading when not in 'broken car panic mode' !

AntsCar

Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:47 am

ThudnBlundr wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:53 am
For those in the UK, Richi (maintainer of the FAQ) also maintains an Amazon shop with PHEV necessities, including batteries: https://www.amazon.co.uk/shop/richi
Thanks for the link. I'll use it to get some replacement wipers

AntsCar

Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:55 am

slowrunner wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:34 am
Question to the forum:
From what I understand the 12V battery should be charged whilst its plugged in, so is it fair to assume that if it has gone flat anyway that it will need replacing ?
I don't think the 12v battery is charged when the car (drive battery) is plugged in. Instead it seems to charge like any normal ICE car, when the petrol engine is running.

greendwarf

Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:53 am

The 12v battery is charged once a day from the drive battery but this is of no help once the battery is knackered. Lead acid batteries are notorious for limping on past their "sell by date" but a sudden drop in ambient temp (like we are experiencing in UK) will often push them over the edge. :cry:

ThudnBlundr

Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:21 am

I'd be extremely surprised if it didn't connect the DC-DC converter when it's charging, as the 12V battery runs all the software required for charging and it could be very damaging if it failed mid-charge.

As ever, the problem with 12V batteries in EVs is that they're not stressed. In an ICE, you can hear when the battery starts having problems starting the car in cold weather. But in the PHEV, it's main job is to run the software and connect the drive battery, so no major load. It can soldier on in poor condition and barely working until one day it doesn't work without warning - actually it usually produces loads of spurious warnings!
2015 GX4hs since 03/18
2015 Renault Zoe R240 owner since 11/17

You may have speed, but I have momentum...Image

littlescrote

Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:22 am

AntsCar wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:55 am

I don't think the 12v battery is charged when the car (drive battery) is plugged in. Instead it seems to charge like any normal ICE car, when the petrol engine is running.
Wrong. There is no 12V alternator on the ICE, it's only charged by DC-DC converter off the drive battery when in Ready mode, when charging and once a day at 2pm if the Wifi module is enabled.

Return to “General / Main Outlander PHEV Owners Forum”