Are my tyres an illegal type

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickfly

I have just been to my local Kwik Fit for a set of tyres and, after looking at the tyres fitted to my car, they told me that I am driving with tyres that invalidate my insurance.
My tyres are budget tyres and that's all I wanted to purchase but 2 men at KF said only 2 types of tyre are allowed on the PHEV, a Toyo or Yokohama E70BZ, any other brands of tyre will invalidate the car's insurance.
Has anybody else heard of this.

Regards ..... Gary.

The man in Kwik Fit said that tyres other than Toyo or Yokohama would cause damage to the PHEV's batteries.
Doesn't make much sense to me, except that the tyres I wanted to buy were £75 each and the one's he said were correct were £142 each.
Regards ..... Gary.

Absolute rubbish. Those are the Original Equipment tyres, fitted by the manufacturer because they could get a good deal that is what they were able to source that was a good compromise for the vehicle at their price point. Also they're Japanese makes for a vehicle made in Japan. But earlier PHEVs came with Toyos and later ones with Yokohamas. By their reasoning, only one tyre would be suitable for your car :roll:

If you can be bothered, it would be worth reporting them for their blatant lies.

Oh dear, that means I'll have to change out my expensive Bridgestone winters :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously, this is fraud that even the Kwik Fit management wouldn't defend - yes, first thing Monday ring their head office to complain AND report them to Trading Standards. :twisted:

Oh dear - I have Crossclimate Michelins... :shock: . Seriously, the Law and thus your insurance only requires that you adhere to the maker specifications regarding size and rating (and even a lower rating is allowed in some countries for winter tyres, provided that there is a warning max speed sticker within the driver's view.)

Well all the other tyre fitters agree that any tyres can be fitted providing they are of the correct size etc.
I did go onto the Kwik Fit site and filled in one of their complaint forms on Sunday but have had no response.
Three new tyres are being fitted by another company tomorrow.
Regards ..... Gary.

Back