Charging indicator light.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdeB

Good evening,

I picked-up my outlander 4hs 2016 yesterday and noticed that it was fully charged while with the dealers. By the time I drove it home after a 2 hours drive the battery had ran-out.

Trying to charge the battery at home today using the normal method (AC 240 V/10 A), after following the instructions and double checking my steps, the charge indicator light on the dashboard is not showing even though the light on the box connected to the mains is blinking 'charging'. After leaving it to charge for 2hours, it appears that the battery didn't charge. Do i have a problem here and get back to the dealers or am I missing something? Please help.

Regards,
AdeB.

The first thing to check is to see if there are any charging timers set.
The second thing is to make sure that the plug was all the way in to the car, typically you'd hear a click when it is all the way in.

I have charging timers set so that my car charges in the small hours of the morning, and completes charging just before I need the car.

When I plug everything in, the charging light, on the cable box, blinks.

When the timer, in the car's software, turns on, the charging light on the cable box shows a steady light, and the charging icon shows up on the dashboard.

Once the car has finished charging, the cable box shows a blinking charging light again, and the charging light goes out on the dashboard.

According to the manual, the blinking light means 'fully charged' but it also means that the car is not taking power from the charger cable.

A common problem with these is the microswitch in the charging plug, I had a problem with it not charging at times. I read about others having the same problem on this forum, eventually I took it to the local dealer and they said there was a fault with the plug at the car end of the cable. As it was still under warranty so they gave me a new charging cable and box, the invoice that they gave me showed a price of £880, obviously I didn't have to pay for it but if yours is out of warranty it could be expensive.

You don't say which country you are in, but in the UK, a plug-in hybrid which won't charge with the supplied cable is not of "merchantable quality" - thus making the sales contract voidable, i.e. you could get your money back. So it is straight back to the dealer for them to fix at their expense, warranty or no warranty - unless they can show that the cable does work.

It sounds very much like there is a timer set from a previous owner, for example to take advantage of cheap night rate electricity.

You need to look into it via the screen (or App, but that's a whole other world of pain). There is a way to override the timer, and that is a quick double press of the little round button on the side of your key fob.

All of this is in the owner's manual. worth downloading the pdf version so that you can search it easily.

Well apart from the fact that a new owner might struggle with checking out and fixing the timer settings (if that's what it is) why should these buggers get away with not acting lawfully?

We Brits are notoriously bad at complaining about poor service and so retailers continue to rip us off! :evil:

It would also be a useful test of how customer focussed the dealer is, as you might need them for something more substantial later and it would be nice to know in advance if the are likely to be helpful - or if you should go elsewhere. :idea:

Back