Tow torque when starting

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcolvin

Almost got stuck today towing my fairly small (16 foot) aluminum boat in my 2019 Outlander PHEV. The launch ramp not steep at all, but some gravel. Just did not have the torque to get going. Wheels weren't slipping, didn't matter if engine on or off. Had to have someone give me a helping push. Foot on the floor, going nowhere.

Any solution to this? Or does the PHEV just not have very much torque starting out. I would have thought it should have the ability to start the rated towing weight on a hill, and this little boat it way under that weight.

jcolvin said:
Any solution to this? Or does the PHEV just not have very much torque starting out. I would have thought it should have the ability to start the rated towing weight on a hill, and this little boat it way under that weight.

Try putting blocks under the trailer wheels and rolling back onto them. Or try putting the blocks under the back PHEV wheels if you don't mind having the trailer bump over them as you drive forwards. A slight bit of roll back, then hit the accelerator as the car bounces off the blocks should get you going.

Back