eray1066

Ran out of gas but depleted battery got me home

Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:11 am

Usually I am good to my machines. However last month I behaved badly with my 2018 Outlander PHEV. I had a Zoom board meeting and left our Farm for home without any time to spare. I was towing a trailer with a small load of firewood (about 1200 lbs gross). The gas gauge showed me it would be close. on a long gentle uphill grade about 1/4 mile from home the gas engine quit. The battery which had charged on most of the 50 mile trip was depleted as well on the screen. However the car limped up the hill (very slowly, 4mph?) on battery alone and into my driveway with a minute to spare. I am not proud of this but am in awe of the ability of the Outlander to get the job done. I put some gas in it and charged it during my meeting. I filled it with gas and charged it overnight. There have been no repercussions from this abuse.

mellobob

Re: Ran out of gas but depleted battery got me home

Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:41 pm

Cool to know. Hope I don't see the same thing :)

Living in a rural area I would be so afraid to own a pure EV. Run out of "gas" in one of those an expensive tow is the only option. At least with the PHEV you can still put a gallon of gasoline in and make it home or to a charge point. With all the chatter about going "all green" these days I wonder what's going to happen in rural areas? On the other hand, if I lived in an urban place I'd be looking seriously at an EV.

ChrisMiller

Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:31 am

An increasing number of breakdown trucks are carrying large batteries that can be used to provide enough charge to get an 'empty' EV to the nearest charging point.
GX4h (2016) since 23/12/2015

mellobob

Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:21 am

ChrisMiller wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:31 am
An increasing number of breakdown trucks are carrying large batteries that can be used to provide enough charge to get an 'empty' EV to the nearest charging point.
Were are you seeing this? It's a good idea. What would it take, time wise, to do this much charge?

ChrisMiller

Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:17 pm

It's beginning in the UK, but on our motorways you probably only need about a 10 mile range boost to get you to the next services, where there should be a charging point. I'm not sure how well this concept would work on the prairies. :)
GX4h (2016) since 23/12/2015

mellobob

Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:24 pm

ChrisMiller wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:17 pm
It's beginning in the UK, but on our motorways you probably only need about a 10 mile range boost to get you to the next services, where there should be a charging point. I'm not sure how well this concept would work on the prairies. :)
In most places 10 miles doesn't even change the view :) I think I'll be driving a hybrid for many years to come.

greendwarf

Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:46 am

However, there is nowhere in the world where electricity is not already available, which is why fuel cells are NOT the future. :mrgreen:

littlescrote

Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:19 am

greendwarf wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:46 am
However, there is nowhere in the world where electricity is not already available, which is why fuel cells are NOT the future. :mrgreen:
I would change that to " fuel cells are not THE future" - they are definitely a part of the future, along with batteries and synthetic fuel ICE.

ThudnBlundr

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:27 am

Only where energy is plentiful and cheap - a fuel-cell car is around 40% efficient when you look at energy out of the power station to energy actually driving the car. Compare that to a BEV with 80% efficiency over the same measure. That means you need double the extra generation capacity for a fuel cell cars compared to BEVs for the same mileage. Who's going to pay for all that extra capacity just so it can be wasted? Add in an ICE running on e-fuels (maximum 30% efficient on its own, usually far less) to that lossy hydrogen infrastructure and the lossy conversion to e-fuels and you'd need at least 4-5 times the extra generation capacity if you want to use them. That's why hydrogen will only ever be a niche fuel unless there's some breakthrough.

Of course you can make hydrogen more easily from natural gas, but then it becomes a fossil fuel ;)
2015 GX4hs since 03/18
2015 Renault Zoe R240 owner since 11/17

You may have speed, but I have momentum...Image

greendwarf

Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:18 am

The real problem with fuel cells is the infrastructure needed. Electricity is already universal and can be generated easily from a variety of local sources. Petrol and diesel are produced as part of an existing worldwide petrochemical industry and very cheap (before taxes). It can also be stored and transported without special containers (shades of some Covid vaccines!). At least early motoring pioneers could buy petrol from hardware stores in the small quantities sold for pre-existing other uses - try buying liquid hydrogen in the wilds of Sarf London!

Until there are significant alternative uses for hydrogen even the industry producing it will remain uneconomically small and nobody is going spend money on the complex new infrastructure that would encourage take up of vehicles powered by fuel cells. Its like the pipedream of unlimited free energy from fusion or Betamax. :lol:

NB. Younger readers might need to google the last word to understand my point.

Return to “General / Main Outlander PHEV Owners Forum”