Real-world tests of hybrid cars show higher-than-expected emissions

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisMiller

https://physicsworld.com/a/real-world-tests-of-hybrid-cars-show-higher-than-expected-emissions/

I doubt this will come as much of a surprise to many on here.

People who don't charge their cars, use more petrol.

I guess I'm on the opposite end of that spectrum.

Reading the article, it's even more facile than that. They seem to be saying that PHEVs don't get the fuel consumption that they get in the standard tests. NSS - that's no surprise as almost no cars do. For short journeys, of course the EV side rules and the fuel consumption is almost meaningless. PHEVs are uniquely designed to make a mockery of those tests, as they don't really focus on typical usage. But they seem to be blaming the cars for the failures of the tests :roll:

I would imagine we are an extreme end of the scale we have achieved approximately 120mpg over the last 4960 miles including 890 miles towing, we have the opportunity to charge up on the majority of occasions to date we have used 1,170.44 kWh total running cost over the last ten and half months £336.62 (yes I am really sad) :D , if we did not tow we would switch to a full EV

Which is why in London we lose our exemption to the Congestion Charge in October. I only use mine as an EV, as I live in Inner London, unless I travel to the provinces, but users from outside the capital currently get the benefit despite chocking us to death once they get here - I doubt many Save their battery until they get into the City. :roll:

I have to admit we are quite good we use either Save/Charge and make sure we have an adequate charge for the build up areas, lets be honest this one of the main reasons for a PHEV

Back