Does EV range reduce/increase with deg and reset?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisk

Hi New member here and prospective Outlander phev buyer. My £15k max budget limits me to a 5 year old car approx. I think the fully car meets my needs as 90% of my journeys are under 20 miles, but i am obviously concerned about the battery deg issue. My main concern is what the deg, real life range and therefore value will be in another 5-10 years time?
Am I right in thinking that a 5 year old phev is likely to have lost at least 20% battery capacity and real life range?
Does the BMU reset result in any real life range increase?
Thank you.

Sadly the answer depends on the number of charges, and particularly the number of fast charges.

Mine has never been on a fast charger, since I've owned it, and I'm not seeing any meaningful decrease in range.

Range anxiety isn't really a thing for a PHEV, because you always have the petrol engine to fall back on.

As I recently posted, my 7 year old PHEV with 50k miles did 26 miles in London on a full charge, this week.

Electric range depends much more on terrain, weather, and driving habits. Also, if you manage never to fire the ICE up the car will get pissed off and run gasoline after 90? days anyway to ensure you don't end up with a tank of stale gas.

mellobob said:
Electric range depends much more on terrain, weather, and driving habits. Also, if you manage never to fire the ICE up the car will get pissed off and run gasoline after 90? days anyway to ensure you don't end up with a tank of stale gas.

Not strictly accurate - the ICE starts if you have not added 15 litres of petrol in the last 90 days. So if you start with an empty tank you can go 9 months before having to burn off fuel. ;)

greendwarf said:
mellobob said:

Not strictly accurate - the ICE starts if you have not added 15 litres of petrol in the last 90 days. So if you start with an empty tank you can go 9 months before having to burn off fuel. ;)

A problem I wish I had :) I drive too many highway and hilly miles for this to ever concern me!

Back