New boy

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red47

Hello everyone. I ordered my PHEV yesterday & came across this forum last night.
I've got the usual concerns about charging cable security and home charging points (but you've given me some useful ideas), but my main concern is about public charging points.
Am I right in thinking that as long as the point has a socket to take my cable (which I need to buy) or a tethered cable that fits the car, then it will work OK? I'm not going to blow the car up am I?
Also, when I buy the cable, there's no point in getting a 32 amp one is there, a 16 amp will do?
Thanks in advance

Hi & welcome
No you shouldn't be able to blow anything up, although I might avoid actually plugging it in during a rainstorm/thunderstorm :lol:
Most public charging points are now Type 2, so you will need to buy a 'type 2 to type 1 cable' (the car has a type 1 socket). Don't by the Mitsubishi one at £300, they are available for around £160. I have read that some public charging points, which are themselves capable of delivering at 32A, don't like the 16A cable, so as the difference in price between a 16A cable and a 32A cable is pretty small, I bought a 32A cable. You would still only be able to charge at 16A, of course.
The larger socket (on the car) is capable of accepting at a much faster rate (called 'rapid' - faster than 'fast'!), and the charging points all have a tethered lead. These are mostly situated at motorway service stations and IKEAs.... which brings up a whole new subject of which cards you will need to get in order to be able to use them.... ;)

Thanks jdsx, that's really useful.
Wouldn't it be handy if there was a universal swipe card or app for charging points?
Never mind, I'll just have to add a few more cards to my wallet.

I've ordered a GX4h in Glacier Blue & take delivery when I get back from holiday in 3 weeks - it'll be the first time that I'll be looking forward to the end of a holiday!

Red47 said:
I've ordered a GX4h in Glacier Blue & take delivery when I get back from holiday in 3 weeks - it'll be the first time that I'll be looking forward to the end of a holiday!

I've ordered a GX3h in Metallic Black, but about 5 weeks away, gotta admit most excited I've ever been about getting a new car. Even the missus is, which is extremely rare for her to be excited about anything to do with a car. She's even named it Angus, connection being lead guitarist Angus Young from AC/DC.

jdsx said:
Hi & welcome
No you shouldn't be able to blow anything up, although I might avoid actually plugging it in during a rainstorm/thunderstorm :lol:
Most public charging points are now Type 2, so you will need to buy a 'type 2 to type 1 cable' (the car has a type 1 socket). Don't by the Mitsubishi one at £300, they are available for around £160. I have read that some public charging points, which are themselves capable of delivering at 32A, don't like the 16A cable, so as the difference in price between a 16A cable and a 32A cable is pretty small, I bought a 32A cable. You would still only be able to charge at 16A, of course.
The larger socket (on the car) is capable of accepting at a much faster rate (called 'rapid' - faster than 'fast'!), and the charging points all have a tethered lead. These are mostly situated at motorway service stations and IKEAs.... which brings up a whole new subject of which cards you will need to get in order to be able to use them.... ;)
Don't. At least not frequently. Mitsubishi warns that frequent 32A charging will shorten battery life.

jaapv said:
jdsx said:
Hi & welcome
Don't. At least not frequently. Mitsubishi warns that frequent 32A charging will shorten battery life.

You mean "frequent fast charging", don't you? The fast charge inlet charges at something like 50A, I believe. 32A goes via the regular charging input, but even if the charge point can supply it, the internal electronics of the PHEV will not draw it unmodified, will it?

Ozukus said:
Red47 said:

I've ordered a GX3h in Metallic Black, but about 5 weeks away, gotta admit most excited I've ever been about getting a new car. Even the missus is, which is extremely rare for her to be excited about anything to do with a car. She's even named it Angus, connection being lead guitarist Angus Young from AC/DC.

Quality! Ours is due to be christened JEFF after Jeff Lynne of the Electric Light Orchestra. Mr Blue Sky will be playing as we gently wave the electric bill over the car.

maby said:
jaapv said:
jdsx said:
Hi & welcome

You mean "frequent fast charging", don't you? The fast charge inlet charges at something like 50A, I believe. 32A goes via the regular charging input, but even if the charge point can supply it, the internal electronics of the PHEV will not draw it unmodified, will it?
50A certainly, but in theory even less too, as Li-Ion batteries do not take kindly to high charging currents. However, I think that even if you plug the car into a 32A outlet with the regular cable, it will not draw more than 16A anyway, so there is no drawback to the installing or using of a future-proof charging point.

Welcome Red47, I'm sure you will find all sorts of useful tips & tricks on this forum.

I too have ordered a Blue 4H, hopefully arriving at dealer tomorrow, they may get it to me for Sat or Mon, can't wait :D

As for the cable, I decided to not bother with one straight away, as I can't see many places where I'd want to hang around for 3-4 hours for 25-30 miles, it's difficult to justify the cost!

I'm able to charge at home, and plan on using 'rapid' Motorway ss ones, if necessary or petrol, on longer runs. I also have the feeling that as EV's become more common, Leaf's & Tesla's will not be happy to see a PHEV charging!

My OH is impatient so will only be charging if we need a break anyway.

Thanks everyone for your greetings & advice.

There is a free charging point in a pay & display car park near work where there are no parking fees while you are hooked up and there is a free public point at the hotel attached to my golf club. I'll be using both quite a lot so I think I'll play it safe & go for the 16 amp cable, unless anyone has any strong recommendations otherwise.

I've just been given my new registration number by the dealer, so another step nearer to getting my grubby mitts on the car.

Thanks again

Hi all. Another newbie here. I have been lurking for a while and the threads on this forum really have helped me to decide to take the plunge. I had the option of buying either in France or the UK and have finally set my sights on a UK GX4h in Atlantic Grey. Ordered yesterday, the dealer already has it on the books and I says that it will be ready for me to collect when I return to blighty next month. Keep the gems flowing.

Red47 said:
Thanks everyone for your greetings & advice.

There is a free charging point in a pay & display car park near work where there are no parking fees while you are hooked up and there is a free public point at the hotel attached to my golf club. I'll be using both quite a lot so I think I'll play it safe & go for the 16 amp cable, unless anyone has any strong recommendations otherwise.

I've just been given my new registration number by the dealer, so another step nearer to getting my grubby mitts on the car.

Thanks again

Don't buy a 16amp charging cable go for the 32amp one. Some public charging units will not let you charge using a 16amp cable as they don't like the resistance from a 16amp lead. Most public chargers are 7kw or 32amp and look for a certain resistance from a lead when it's connected. 16amp leads have a different resistance to 32 amp hence you may struggle to charge. Try mark at nu world energy tell him Chris told you to ring him - don't let him tell you any stories mind!
Cheers

Back