Tailgate struts

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sumpy

Hi, I need to replace both taligate struts ,but my local Mitsu dealer is qouting £90+ each and they only have one side available for order at the moment. So my question is does anyone know the opening force of the struts (2015 pre-facelift with electric opener)? they may have slightly different force ratings to each other as they are handed parts but they have the same dimensions and fittings. Or has anyone actually fitted 3rd party struts?

I would find any help extremely uplifting ;)

Cheers, Gareth

Sumpy said:
Hi, I need to replace both taligate struts ,but my local Mitsu dealer is qouting £90+ each and they only have one side available for order at the moment. So my question is does anyone know the opening force of the struts (2015 pre-facelift with electric opener)? they may have slightly different force ratings to each other as they are handed parts but they have the same dimensions and fittings. Or has anyone actually fitted 3rd party struts?

I would find any help extremely uplifting ;)

Cheers, Gareth

Hi, have you considered asking wreckers? The PHEV struts will be the same as the top end ICE model which also had an electric opener/closer.

Thanks for the suggestion, and I have considered it, but breakers yards in the UK have gone a lot pricier than they used to be and being used they could give up at any time, especially if they have been involved in the stresses caused by an accident. I was hoping that someone might have already fitted a replacement part or may know the strut forces so I could replace with the equivalent third party strut. My next move is to order some struts as they're only about £12 and see how well they work, once I know which ones work then I will of course post my findings here.

Thanks for the suggestion of re-gassing, I had thought about it but I have just bought two new struts for £41 and decided that it was cheap enough to go with the new replacements.

Back