If the propulsion battery stops forever

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niceandeasy

Hello,

I am considering a second hand inexpensive Outlander PHEV, mostly as a back up for a Prius and also for the occasional 4x4 outing.

This is my main worry: can I still use the Outlander as an hybrid after the propulsion battery is finished forever ? If yes, then I will probably purchase one very soon

If no I will have to consider a "normal" second hand 4x4 automatic

Thank you beforehand

Hi,

If the main battery were to fail completely, then the car would not work at all, but that is not expected during the life of the car.

niceandeasy said:
This is my main worry: can I still use the Outlander as an hybrid after the propulsion battery is finished forever ?

If the battery is simply totally degraded, yes you might only get 1 EV mile, but everything is still fine as its just like a Prius.
However if the battery develops a cell fault, then you're up for a replacement battery (from a wrecked vehicle etc) or a replacement cell (assuming you know what you're doing or can get a Auto Electrician to do it for you) much like any other Hybrid eg Prius.

Many thanks for the replies.

This vehicle will be mostly a backup for the Prius Plug In (amazing car) as unfortunately I developed a problem in my left left and, while not impossible, it is vert complicated and stressful to now drive my Pajero with manual gearbox.

I expect an inexpensive 2013-2015 second hand Outlander PHEV to be in a very short period in need of a new propulsion battery, and that seems terribly expensive. I am located in Europe and a friend spoke of around 14 000 Euros.

So for me no problem to continue driving it as just an hybrid, without pure EV range.

Regards

Look further About 5000 Euro with specialized companies.

In general, the car battery will still be more than adequate, an average 2013 one will normally still have 80% of its original range and a 2015 one much better, depending on the mileage. The number of batteries that have needed to be replaced over the years and hundreds of thousands of cars sold worldwide runs into the single digits. Mitsubishi provides a guarantee of 5 (older models) to 8 years (newer models) on the battery.

A battery will not "stop forever". It will only gradually lose part of its capacity.

I would expect the car to remain usable without battery change for at least 300.000 km and 15 years.
If you are (unnecessarily) worried by this aspect, buy a car with a battery condition report.

Back