Page 2 of 2

Re: Towing in hilly areas

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:43 am
by ChrisMiller
greendwarf wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:39 am
Which, of course, is correct - once you have maxed out the power from the electric motors, all pressing the accelerator does is increase the revs but under 45mph can't use this for turning the wheels. Arguably this is a "design fault", but apparently the Japanese don't usually tow :idea:
You can't use the direct engine drive ('parallel' mode) under 45mph because there's a single fixed gear and the engine revs would be too low. Enabling it would require either multiple gears (heavy and complex) or something like a fluid coupling (less efficient).

Re: Towing in hilly areas

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:53 am
by jaapv
greendwarf wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:39 am
oscarmax wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:39 pm
greendwarf wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:39 am
The "over revving" is just like holding a low gear to pull away/overtake faster with a manual box - although if you are used to automatics then this is not so obvious a comparison. I agree that it is intrusive but only because you have got used to how quiet the car is normally..

However, like the others, I don't understand your experience on hills. As below 45mph the electric motors are doing all the work, it can make no difference to your speed whether the ICE is running or not, as it is merely being used to replenish the battery. If what you say is true then that would suggest there is something wrong with your car, which only a dealer is going to able to resolve.
I may be wrong, I have never driven or towed with the 2.0 PHEV model, not sure if our 2.4 model performs in the same way as the 2.0.

When towing away from junction, roundabout etc including steep hills using electric its fine, if you press the accelerator harder and engage the ICE unit just revs, the harder you press the more the revs, there seems to be little very little difference in acceleration ? I have learnt to ignore the ICE revs and save the battery.
Which, of course, is correct - once you have maxed out the power from the electric motors, all pressing the accelerator does is increase the revs but under 45mph can't use this for turning the wheels. Arguably this is a "design fault", but apparently the Japanese don't usually tow :idea:
Not a very bad "design fault" when you consider that all the engine is doing is supplementing the electrical power through the generator. One might suppose that it is a desirable thing in these driving conditions.

Re: Towing in hilly areas

Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:40 am
by greendwarf
And which supports the apparent overarching design requirement of protecting the drive battery & charge - ICE starting when cold etc. Given the failure of Nissan to do that in the Leaf (with resulting bad publicity in the US) it is unsurprising that their rivals have gone down this route with later models.

Re: Towing in hilly areas

Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:33 pm
by grindersgrounds
Hello, all!

Brand new owner (in USA); I drove home my 2021 PHEV three days ago, and it replaced a mid-size truck.

I hope to be able to tow my tent trailer that loaded weighs about 1500lbs (680kg), which I know won’t be a problem for most trips. But we often camp at a place in the mountains that includes an elevation gain of about 5000ft (1500m) over the course of 120 miles, with lots of ups and downs. All of the highways can be driven at speeds of 55-65mph with my truck and trailer or a car. Do you all think that I can reasonably drive this sort of route pulling this sort of weight with my Outlander? It has the new, larger rear motor, battery, and 2.4L ICE.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Re: Towing in hilly areas

Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:14 am
by zzcoopej
grindersgrounds wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:33 pm
Do you all think that I can reasonably drive this sort of route pulling this sort of weight with my Outlander?
Yes, no problem as long as you use Charge mode the entire trip you will be fine. I've towed double that weight with the old 2L PHEV and it does struggle a bit, however half the weight with a bigger engine and you could almost climb Everest!

Re: Towing in hilly areas

Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:49 am
by grindersgrounds
Thanks for the reply, J. I’m looking forward to camping season again (not for quite a few months now).