Question - Electric tailgate not staying up

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UKBoB

Hi,

My tailgate has decided to go on strike - using the internal button or my key fob it raises in its usual manner. As soon as it reaches its full open position it starts to close. The 'up' and 'down' audible signals are normal. I was thinking the motor or sensors were playing up in some way but I disabled the motor using the dash 'off' switch and opened the gate manually. It can be lifted to its full open position but on releasing it it just closes - rather rapidly. It's a bit of a stretch to think both my dampers have packed in but maybe one has completely given up the ghost and the other is weak. My Outlander is a 2015 model, electric tailgate (obviously). Just found out they're £129 each.

My questions are that based on the above does anyone disagree with my conclusion and can anyone recommend a place to buy replacement dampers as I read somewhere on the forum that Mitsubishi prices are astronomical?
Also, I took both struts off and I could compress one of them manually, the other one seemed rock solid. (it moves in and out when fitted and operating). Having no knowledge at all of damper pressures should I be able to compress them or should they feel rock solid to my feeble efforts.

Thank you in anticipation :D

I have just had the same problem that you have described on my 2015 pre-facelift 4H.
I have just bought two new "Maxgear" struts for £41 for the pair which included the VAT and P+P and they fitted perfectly and the tailgate goes up and down just as before without any undue sound of the motor straining. I mention this as they are not the same rating as the ones that came off, the originals seem to be rated at 479 and 480 whereas the pair that I have just fitted are 485's. I have only fitted them a few days ago and cannot say yet whether they will continue to work, but they appear fine at the moment.
Because these struts are not quite in keeping with the manufacturers specifications then you obviously do this at your own risk.
I bought mine from Autodoc and the delivery took too long, but a number of companies come up if you put "tailgate struts" into your search engine and some cost a little less than I paid.
I hope this helps, and I will post on here in about a week to let you know how the struts are holding up.

Hi Sumpy,

Thank you so much for replying to me. That's very helpful. I'll look into that. I'm just sending a query to SGS about cost of re-gassing. I'll keep you informed too.

I just noticed similar issue with my late 2014 4h.. Tailgate opens up no problem but then immediately goes down.. Is this a sensor issue or the supports struts?

Hi,

On Monday I'm sending both my struts to SGS as they charge £12.50 per strut plus postage. Total £36.98. They check for feasability of a successful re-gas on arrival and will turn them around in 2 days. Warranty supplied. Again, I'll post final results.

Peter

"I just noticed similar issue with my late 2014 4h.. Tailgate opens up no problem but then immediately goes down.. Is this a sensor issue or the supports struts?"

This is the same as when mine failed, motor opens the tailgate and then closes.
The motor lifts up and opens the door and then disengages just before the fully open point and then the gas-struts take over the weight of the door on their own to keep it open, at this point you can manually pull down the tailgate to overcome the force of the gas-struts or push the button to start the motor to do it, but when the struts have failed (or are failing) the weight of the door will close it slowly at first as the struts start to fail, or when just one has failed, but when they have both failed (which can happen quite quickly after the first one goes) the tailgate will come down very quickly with the ability to hurt anyone in the way or damage itself in the process.

I replaced mine a week ago now and having been out and motored the tailgate several times every day (my neighbours must think I'm a nutter) and it is working as well as before. I think that the tailgate might open very slightly faster than before, but that could just be my imagination or possibly it is faster due to the slightly uprated force of the new struts? having said that it seems to close at the same speed as it use to, I suppose only time will tell if the motor, or more likely the gearing will hold up to the extra force being applied.

Follow up on my struts and the SGS re-gas.

On testing, one strut was devoid of gas and would not hold a charge when they tried. The cheapest option to resolve this was to purchase a pair from them with guaranteed next day delivery at £48, so I took that route. (I didn't see the point in purchasing just one).
The process took longer than I expected but hopefully the problem should now be resolved.

I swear that tailgate got heavier each day I had to manually lift it.

Could anyone post a part number for replacement struts from Maxgear or others?

I got 2 STABILUS // LIFT-O-MAT® 012551 and they DON’T fit. I’m struggling to find a replacement for the original , which in itself is hard to come by.

Back