Purchased 2nd hand 2014 Outlander - Range Question

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matty277

hi all

based in VIC AUS. Have just purchased a 2014 Outlander with 108KM on the clock for $23.5K.
Had to purchase sight unseen due to lockdown, RACV check came back good but I didn't do any other checks on SOH of the battery (am totally new to PHEVS/EVs)

I'm getting approx. 29km (actual) out of a full charge with no heating/cooling driving on flat roads in approx 15 degC weather conditions.

Just seeking feedback on whether this is a poor result or whether its about right for a 7 y/o car with 100+ km on the clock?

The other question I have is now that the battery has obviously degraded to this point am i likely to retain this kind of range under these conditions or does it just continue to degrade indefinitely?

It is acceptable, bearing in mind that there are many factors determining range, including driving style, average speed, weather, wind, hills and gradients, etc. It will continue to degrade, but the rate will slow.

matty277 said:
hi all

based in VIC AUS. Have just purchased a 2014 Outlander with 108KM on the clock for $23.5K.

I'm getting approx. 29km (actual) out of a full charge with no heating/cooling driving on flat roads in approx 15 degC weather conditions.

Welcome to PHEV ownership, I'm up in NSW and have owned a PHEV for 6 years until a couple of months ago.
Plenty of Aussie PHEV owners (me included) had their traction battery replaced under warranty due to Mitsubishi having a claim on their website back in 2014/15 that degradation would be "no more than 20% over the life of the vehicle". There are a lot of threads here and on the AEVA site regarding people who have recently tried but been knocked back so Mitsubishi changed their mind once they saw the size of the problem.
A car advertised to have 52km EV range that only gets 28km after 7 years is both poor, and not so bad, depending on how you use it. If you have a 40km drive each day, and starting off doing it 100% electric only to find over the years you can't is pretty disappointing. However if you have an 80km commute or just want a 7litre/100km petrol SUV, then the PHEV has been all you could buy until the RAV4 hybrid came along. And doing 28 or 48km of the 80km using electricity is not such a big deal (in Mitsubishi's eyes anyway!).
We managed to do 75% of our driving (120Kkm in total) using electricity at off-peak overnight rates of 13c/kWh which made the PHEV very cheap to run.
I sold my 2014 PHEV with 120Kkm for $26.5k, however it did have a replaced traction battery which I feel was worth about $6k to the new owner.
I feel you got a pretty good deal if the physical condition of your PHEV was good.

having a claim on their website back in 2014/15 that degradation would be "no more than 20% over the life of the vehicle".
Yes, that was a pretty stupid claim. They should have stuck to the real guaranty they gave which was five years at the time - later expanded to eight. An open-ended one is opening the floodgates.

Anyway, the km range is not the way to judge battery condition, there are too many variables, only a battery test by a knowledgeable dealer can do that.
From practice, my 2013 one was down to 30-35 km in summer living in a flat country on country roads and town when I sold it at 160.000 km but I had no trouble forcing it down to the low twenties when driving the car hard. So your result is well within the mark for somebody with little experience in driving the car.

Have to disagree with jaapv on this. In the real world (i.e. not Holland :lol: ) what matters to most drivers is how far they can actually go on electric in their normal daily life not what the technical state of the battery is. So if your daily journeys can all be done more or less without burning petrol (like me living in London) you will be happy irrespective of whether there is any spare battery capacity unused before topping up overnight(?).

Yes it can be frustrating, on occasion, when the charge won't stretch e.g. I can't get to Heathrow and back all in EV but as I rarely make the journey, its really no big deal.

BTW I'm getting similar mileage (NB. What is the equivalent term for kilometres?) to zzcoopej from my 2014 car.

PS. The legal precedent for dealing with overinflated guarantees is Carlil v. The Carbolic Smoke Ball Company (1893) - the firm lost. I hope Mitsu got a refund from their incompetent Aussie lawyers for apparently not knowing about this celebrated case. AFAIK no other sales region made the same mistake.

Hi all

thanks for your answers! I really appreciate it. I'll book in with my local mitsi dealer and get a battery report. I might look into the watchdog app also

Back