Android Auto issues.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtyshirt72

I ave searched but am unable to find a thread on how to fix the numerous bugs I have had with Android Auto since buying my 2017 Kotu almost a year ago.

Problem 1.
Phone (Samsung Galaxy A41, Android 6) connected to car using original cable via USB port in elbow rest.
No major issues until you got a call during certain unknown conditions while driving. Then you couldn't answer the call, and it would keep ringing. Even when the caller cancelled the call. Loudly. So loud that if in a built up area pedestrians look at you as if you just stole the car and the alarm is sounding internally. To stop this noise the only option is to Stop the Car, plug out the phone, open the drivers door, close it again, reconnect, continue.
A fix was found for this, apparently the problem lay with the phone trying to play your ringtone, instead of the standard one... followed the procedure (can't find it now) no more nasty noises when people ring. So far.

Problem 2.
Problem now is if I try to make or take a call, the cars mic or speakers wont work. The button on the screen or wheel will accept the call, but you cannot hear the caller, and they can't hear you, unless you put the phone to your ear. Kind of the point of a hands free, I thought.
Thing is, spotify plays perfectly from the phone through the car's audio, and the screen on the head unit operates everything fine.
It will even read texts or whatsapp messages received. However I can't reply to these (because again the mic is in the phone and that's too far away.

Have we experienced this issue before?

I have uninstalled and re-installed Android Auto, I am on the most recent version of android (Sept 2021).

Note the Kotu has a basic entertainment & navigation package, the head unit has the big screen with large buttons either side and a rotary volume control knob. It does not have birds eye or reversing camera.

While the need for hands free is not as urgent while we are all working remotely, I am starting to head back on the road for work again lately and Having a boss that likes to ring both my work mobile and own mobile means hands free is vital in these circumstances.

How do I make it work?

Can't help with Android Auto specifically but the volume for the 'phone through the car's speakers is separately controlled by the same knob on the console than when playing audio, on my 2014 car - as the dealer pointed out when I complained. :lol: You may have accidently turned it down to zero when dealing with the first problem. :idea:

As greendwarf says, its probably set to the lowest volume possible.
Get someone to call you while you are connected to the head-unit; answer the call and then use the volume up button until you reach the desired call volume.

I wish there was a facepalm gif that would explain my current sentiment.

Followed your instructions, rang my work phone from my own phone while connected, and twiddled volume knob. and yes, "someone" had turned the volume down to zero.

Thank you all so much.
Have to wait for someone to ring me now to make sure they can hear me....

I know how you feel but at least you can hide behind your "handle" - my dealer knows I am an idiot. :lol:

I explained to the wife how I fixed it yesterday.
She didn't say anything but I knew.
I knew she would take no responsibility for turning the volume down last time the first issue happened.

She was 100% certain it is my fault.

A Word to Husbands

To keep your marriage brimming,
With love in the loving cup,
Whenever you're wrong, admit it;
Whenever you're right, shut up.

Ogden Nash

Back