3 pin original charger blowing 13amp plug fuse

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hughwi

Hi all,

We are the happy owners of a 2017 4HS, which has been great over the last year at getting us around on our daily trips without using any petrol :D

We dont have a driveway, but are usually able to park outside the house, and I run a 5metre waterproofed extension cable over the front garden and use the charger with a gap in the paving slabs and a cable cover for the pavement. This runs off a 2 socket weatherproof external socket we have, that is extended with a fuse spur (I believe?) off an internal socket - it doesnt have its own RCD, it uses the main fuseboard.

I charge overnight using the schedule on the car, so I dont usually keep an eye on it while its charging - which has been fine, until the other day I came down to a tripped RCD/fuseboard - when I reset it - everything was fine, except the charger - was completely dead. It seems that some rain water had possibly got into the internals through the manual stop button? - it was pooled on top - I usually place the charger upside down, but on this case had forgot - but I assumed these were sealed units? (the way I have to use it, I cannot really hang it up by the rope or have it at an angle, it sits on blockwork at full extension)

I have tried replacing the 13amp fuse in the plug twice - but both times, it has turned on and immediately shorted out. - The charger has been in a big box of rice for 3 days - so I would hope it had dried out by now.

If I can revive it, or claim for it under warranty (the car is in its last year of warranty - but no idea if this extends to the charger too? - I have read here that they wont cover the plug itself? but this seems to be internal), I would much prefer to do this than having to fork out £200ish on a new one - especially as I cant really justify installing a charger as we dont get guaranteed parking (and the cables on those are thicker and wont fit in the paver gaps and would definitely be a trip hazard for pedestrians!

I was hoping that some of you here have experience in fixing/replacing these chargers and was looking for advice before going back to the main dealer or resorting to eBay....

Thanks
Hugh

A repair will require replacing all electronics inside the box - economically a write-off. Does anybody know the IP rating? If the water had pooled it should be at least 57 to honour a warranty claim.
I suspect it is 55.

I had a problem with my 13A 3pin charger, probably the microswitch in the plug. The garage agreed it was faulty and replaced it with a new one under guarantee. The invoice showed a price of over £800!

Back