Charging vs Preheat

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orroroo

Has anyone come up with a way to pre-heat the cabin and still leave with a full battery? - its that time of year again

Leaving it plugged in to the charger obviously helps, but my 3kW charger can't quite keep up with the battery drain due to pre-heat. I don't know about a 4kW charger.

I am in Canada, and even at a 16 amp rate at 124 volts it doesn't come close. When I've charged at 220 volts with a displayed 6 KW available rate, the car only accepted about 3.1 KW, I don't think the car's on board charger control will accept more than about 3200 watts, and this won't be enough to maintain full battery charge, based on what I've seen, when the heater is running. Does anyone know what the car's onboard charger is actually limited to and what the heater draw actually is?

Ridfenfun said:
I am in Canada, and even at a 16 amp rate at 124 volts it doesn't come close. When I've charged at 220 volts with a displayed 6 KW available rate, the car only accepted about 3.1 KW, I don't think the car's on board charger control will accept more than about 3200 watts, and this won't be enough to maintain full battery charge, based on what I've seen, when the heater is running. Does anyone know what the car's onboard charger is actually limited to and what the heater draw actually is?

Here in Russia we charging at 220 volts with 15 amp. So charger takes it all. Ususally is takes 3.5-4 hours to recharge full battery. And heater preheting fine.

On a 3.6kW charger, it can't keep up with the 4kW maximum draw from the electric heater. If the battery's nearly full, the charge rate is well below the theoretical maximum anyway. But the heater draw does diminish as the car warms up, so it could "catch up" on an empty-ish battery.

I nearly always preheat on a full battery, but I find that setting the end time for 5-10 minutes before I actually need to use the car means the battery has caught up somewhat. It's a trade-off between refilling the battery and the car getting cold.

You could tickle with the app, using two timers. All assumed the car have being fully loaded (overnight). Set one timer for heating. Set another later to restart loading.

As far as I know once loaded, the car wouldn't restart loading and the heating would consume from the battery only. The 2nd timer makes sure to reload before driving.

The problem is that the top end charging happens at a slower rate to balance the cell voltages, so the interior would probably cool well before it gets full again.

Seriously, just accept that you can't easily do it and move on with your life. Driving off with 90% charge is a #1stworldproblem in the scheme of things.

Back