2014 outlander phev engine start issue solved, sharing experience

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ibo

I bought my outlander phev 2014 about 4 months ago, this is the first time I have issue to start up the car. I will share my story and how I did solve the issue.

So here in Finland is about -8 at night, I wanted to warm up the car before driving, so I kept the car recharge plugged-in and went to the car and pushed the power button without pressing the brake. I went back home and then came back to the car 15 mins later. Then I tried to start the car first by pushing the power button again without pressing the brake. The car didn't start up, I heard the relay clicked many times then the small screen turned on then off. Then I tried to shutdown the car by pushing the power button, nothing worked. Then I long pressed the power button, power button turned blue, small screen turned off, relay stopped click, but the navigator screen turned on. I tried to press brake and start the car, I only heard 1 relay click sound. Then I tried to start the car without pressing brake, I heard relay clicking like crazy again, long press power again to shut everything down.

How did I solve the problem? Simple, I did a jump start. It seems the 12v battery dried out.

Afterwards, I think what happened is that the car uses 12v battery for preheating if you only start the car's control system (push the power button without pressing the brake), even if you have the recharge plugged. The preheating dries out the 12v battery very fast,then you will have trouble to start the car.

So in conclusion, if you want to preheat the car, either use the mobile app or start the car completely (push the power button while pressing brake)
Hopefully it helps you.

The car software may also be protecting you...

You don't want to be able to turn the car "on" while recharging, because you could easily drive away while plugged in.

That's all clearly explained in the manual and is pretty obvious if you think about. The 12V aux battery is very small and running a high power blower will deplete it rapidly.

AndyInOz said:
You don't want to be able to turn the car "on" while recharging, because you could easily drive away while plugged in.

I don't think the car will go into D or R while plugged in.

Because you pressed the power button without pressing the brake, the car did not connect the drive battery into the DC-DC converter. So you flattened the 12V battery.

If you have an electric heater, it's much easier to program the car to preheat while connected to the mains. You can do it via the app or the Settings button on the central screen. If you don't, the only way to heat the car is by firing up the ICE.

If you start it without pressing brake it goes in ACC mode. No traction battery connected only 12V one.
I don't believe you can even start the preheating in this mode - 12V battery can not run the 4kw heater, but the 12V battery can go down pretty quickly anyway and you killed it.

Yes, I managed to do this once while I was changing a wheel. I've never been able to work out why it's possible to switch the power button into this particular position, (ie, Power button has blue light on but green 'READY' graphic on dash is not illuminated, so main battery is not connected) what is the purpose of this position and why doesn't it automatically switch itself off, or give some sort of warning of what will shortly occur (flat 12v battery) if you don't notice that you've done it. Does this particular power button position still exist on post 2014 models? I can only see the need for the power button orange-light radio and electric window position, the blue light 'READY' to go position or completely off.

I've been meaning to buy one of those small, lithium jump starter devices ever since I made this mistake - still haven't quite got around to buying one though (about £70 on average). I'm guessing for a PHEV it doesn't even need to be an especially powerful jump starter as it's not actually needed for starting the car, only making the system 'live'again.

I've never owned a car without this mode in over 50 years of driving and have always been aware that it is a short cut to flattening a 12v battery. :eek:

I use it from time to time on the PHEV, when I want to power up without starting the drive e.g. topping up tyre pressure. The last thing you want when working around the wheels is for the car to slip into gear and/or be breathing in exhaust fumes during the cold weather ICE starts!

With the driver's door open you are continually reminded by the bongs. :D

Hl ,

I have at the moment the same problem.
After visiting the carwash and doing interior cleaning the car didnt start anymore.

Start button is getting blue but that’s it , cant close it or open with electronic key. After holding the start button it gets red.

Any idea guys?

Back