Not just a tissue holder

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrancoPHEV

For anyone who has wondered what better use there might be for the tissue holder in the front arm rest - I have decided that it is the ideal place to store to two-pack of alcohol testers that are now mandatory for anyone driving in France.

What do you keep in yours?

FrancoPHEV said:
For anyone who has wondered what better use there might be for the tissue holder in the front arm rest - I have decided that it is the ideal place to store to two-pack of alcohol testers that are now mandatory for anyone driving in France.

I keep tissues in mine, however what are the mandatory "Alcohol Tester" and how are they supposed to be used. I can probably assume what they are and how they are used but would be interested to understand the official view on this.

From the AA website

Breathalysers
1 March 2012 - the French government confirmed that from 1 July 2012 drivers of all motor vehicles and motorcycles (excluding mopeds) must carry a breathalyser. The regulation will be enforced from 1 November 2012 and anyone stopped after that date who fails to produce a breathalyser when requested will receive an on the spot fine of €11.

October 2012 - the French government announced that the implementation of the sanction for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed from 1 November 2012 to 1 March 2013.

January 2013 - the French government announced that the implementation of the sanction for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed indefinitely.

So theoretically you are still required to carry a self-test breathalyser when driving in France but there is no current legislation demanding a fine for non-compliance.

The original official announcement stated that one unused, certified breathalyser must be produced showing the French certification mark NF. Carrying two single-use breathalysers will ensure that if one is used or damaged, you will still have a spare to produce. The breathalyser produced has to be in date - single-use breathalysers normally have a validity of twelve months.

http://www.halfords.com/car-seats-t...halysers/alcosense-uk-single-use-breathalyser
The electronic re-usable ones are not approved - only the single use certified and indate...
But as the AA website says its all been postponed indefinitely.

I just saw in my manual yesterday the tissue holder. Anyone got any ideas for what other bespoke storage solutions could be offered? Chewing gum packet holder, tin of boiled sweets holder, burger holder (pivot arm for easy access whilst driving?)

FrancoPHEV said:

Plastic shopping bags to re-use at the supermarket - I used to keep them in the driver's door container in the Avensis (had a hinged lid to keep them out of sight - don't want to temp thieves when in Wales :lol: ) - so this is equally secure . :mrgreen:

BTW the size of tissue box used in hotels fits neatly between the central arm rest and gear stick. I had to buy a trade box of 24 so if anybody wants one, PM me and I'll send it to you.

jaapv said:
How do you operate your seat heating then? It will cover the switches - and the 4WD lock button.

Seat heating ? - not on my Gx3h unless I light a small fire under it in lieu of the electric heating :lol:

However, yes it does cover the switches but as I've yet to use the 4WD lock (and unlikely to unless we have a blizzard here in Sarf London) this isn't a real issue. It does cover the Save & Charge buttons as well but, again, I've yet to use the latter and it is easy to slide a hand under the box to press Save. I'd say I use the tissues on the move more than the buttons and I wouldn't want to try opening the armrest to get at tissues at 70mph :eek:

I have two packs of travel sized wet wipes in mine. Much more versatile than tissues and with 2 small children they are a necessity!

mummytaxi said:
I have two packs of travel sized wet wipes in mine. Much more versatile than tissues and with 2 small children they are a necessity!

What a great idea, I'm off to find some that fit shortly.

haha - always wondered what that was for - thanks for the info! I keep all my various charging cards in there (as I hardly ever use any of them). I like the idea of the wipes though, seems more practical!

webbo73 said:
I keep all my various charging cards in there (as I hardly ever use any of them).
Hi,
Actually, there appears to be a specific storage solution for charge cards. There is a "slot" in the drop down part of the glovebox that holds cards perfectly.
Kind regards,
Mark

There are also 'slots' in the drivers and passenger sun visors, can hold 1 or 2 cards in each.

Paule23 said:
There are also 'slots' in the drivers and passenger sun visors, can hold 1 or 2 cards in each.
hi,
True. And I did use that place initially but found it a little "untidy".
Kind regards,
Mark

Back